Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

traveling to new destinations

251 replies to this topic

#241 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,673 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:28 AM

Got your E-mail, Steve.  I'll be planning a trip over there in March, then!

Rich ... I got your E-mail, too.  I'll be calling you later, to talk about the Tinley Show.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#242 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,366 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:17 PM

Yeah probably chose best not to come this weekend. I actually had to cancel the fishing trip with my buddy. Got a darn cold kicking the past two days now :(

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#243 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,673 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:44 AM

Just because I can be mean sometimes ... we're supposed to hit record highs today.  Near 87 degrees Fahrenheit !!!

It's good to be home !!!

Barbed hooks rule!

#244 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,366 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:26 AM

Just got another 4" of snow last night here. I still don't mind it yet, but about another 2 weeks and once March hits I'll be ready for it to be gone.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#245 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:58 PM

Just because I can be mean sometimes ... we're supposed to hit record highs today.  Near 87 degrees Fahrenheit !!!

It's good to be home !!!

87 is way to hot for me. That's what I call air conditioning weather. I'll take the current 47 over 87 any day of the week.

#246 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,673 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:55 AM

March 3rd.  I end up back in Hoffman Estates, IL.  On the Saturday the 9th ... I'll be spending some time with Richmc.  A tying event on at a restaurant, I believe!

Steve, don't make any other plans for the weekend of March 16/17.  I'm planning to make that drive.  If it's warm enough, maybe we can hit a local waterway?

Barbed hooks rule!

#247 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,366 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 11:20 AM

I think that should work Mike. At first I was thinking that was the Monster Jam weekend but I just looked and that is actually the weekend before (March 10th). I'll just have to double check and try to find out when my fishing buddy has his week off (teacher so we do a steelhead trip during his spring break week off) soon as I find that out I'll let ya know.

That "should" be a fishable time locally where we could hit the Clinton for a chance at some steelhead. If the weather is decent then March is usually fishable locally unless it drops to really cold temps.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#248 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,673 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 03:52 PM

Back to Chicago on Sunday.  Richmce has already informed me that the temperature, Sunday night, is supposed to be -7° F.  A high, Monday of 6° F.

Oh boy.

Barbed hooks rule!

#249 j8000

j8000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 01:28 PM

map.dfg.ca.gov/fishing/

helpful, but not inclusive.

#250 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,673 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:57 AM

Well, I can add one more "experience" to my travels.  

5:00 this morning.  I'm out of bed and grabbing my sweatshirt before I realize there's a fire alarm going off.  I slow down, put on pants and shoes, then go out the door.  As I look up and down the hall, other people are leaning out of their doorways.
I walk to the intersection, and at the far end, I see smoke.  So I yell to the others, "This is real, there's smoke in the hallway."  I'm on the second floor, so I start walking down the hall, knocking on doors and yelling, "There's smoke!  It's not a drill!"
I'm sure I've alerted everyone I can, so I go downstairs.  The firemen are there, and people start coming into the lobby.

I guess it was a small fire in someone's trash can.  I hope it was the pot smokers that have been stinking up my room several times a day, and they get caught and arrested.

Barbed hooks rule!

#251 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,366 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 01:27 PM

That's crazy Mike. Doesn't surprise me though. People are stupid and think the "No smoking" in rooms does not apply to them because they are special. 

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#252 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,673 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 02:13 PM

I'm chalkin' it up to the human condition.  The majority and mob think they're immune to death.  That it " ... only happens to other people."

Barbed hooks rule!

Reply to this topic