Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Hares Ear

fly tying hares ear nymph trout fly

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 09:28 PM

Hey
Nice video. Keep them up

#17 redietz

redietz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 09:37 PM

I found one for you. (The Compleat Angler by Izaak Walton). A bit tedious (aren't we all, sometimes), but given it was written in 1653, it's kinda fun stuff if you can get past the very dated narrative techniques. You might skip to chapter IV on catching trout with a fly. Thats the only chapter that drew me in, anyway. There's a caterpillar fly he calls the Palmer flie, which one of the new tyers on here just posted as his first or second tied fly. I couldn't see any reference to a hare's ear per se (maybe it's in another part of the book, or maybe I missed it, or maybe it's called something else and was tied so differently back then I can't quickly recognize it), but maybe you can find it. There are other chapters on many other fish, too (salmon, Pike, carp, and bream in chapters 6-9), but I can only take so much of fly fishing history...

You wouldn't see a reference if you're only looking at the part written by Walton  -- he wasn't much of a fly fisherman and only repeated a list of flies he had taken from a previous book.  The part you want to look at is the fly fishing appendix by Sir Charles Cotton, Walton's younger fishing companion.  He was a very competent fly angler, and his list of flies are the ones he actually used.  His "Fern Fly" is a hare's ear wet (although he used hare's neck.) If you look through his list, you'll see some familiar names, like green drake. His "cow dung" wet fly is still in use pretty much unchanged. The phrase "far and fine" is straight out of Cotton. 

The appendix wasn't added until 1676, and not all copies of The Compleat Angler you see even today include it.

"Palmer" was another name for a woolly worm caterpillar, so called because when they seen carrying pieces of leaves around they reminded people of pilgrims back from the holy land carrying around palm fronds.  When we "palmer" hackle, we're basically saying "make it look like a caterpillar."

Bob

#18 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 10:01 PM

Cool, thanks
cb27

"Fly tying is replete with unproven theories and contradictions and therein lies much of it's charm and fascination." George F. Grant, The Master Fly Weaver

#19 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 10:59 PM

I looked through it a bit. I'm enjoying it, thanks for that. I found the reference to the Fern Fly, too, on page 231, the second new fly for August (and not recommended for any other month):

"Next a fly called the FERN-FLY,the dubbing of the fur of a hare's neck, that is, of the color of fern, or bracken, with a darkish grey wing of a mallard's feather; a killer, too."

https://archive.org/...ltrich/page/230

(The bracken fern is green, so in that way it's also different than our traditional tan or even olive...)
cb27

"Fly tying is replete with unproven theories and contradictions and therein lies much of it's charm and fascination." George F. Grant, The Master Fly Weaver

#20 redietz

redietz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 01:17 AM

I looked through it a bit. I'm enjoying it, thanks for that. I found the reference to the Fern Fly, too, on page 231, the second new fly for August (and not recommended for any other month):

"Next a fly called the FERN-FLY,the dubbing of the fur of a hare's neck, that is, of the color of fern, or bracken, with a darkish grey wing of a mallard's feather; a killer, too."

https://archive.org/...ltrich/page/230

(The bracken fern is green, so in that way it's also different than our traditional tan or even olive...)

No, he's talking about the color it would be by August:

pteridium_aquilinum_bracken_frond_22-08-

Very much the  color we associate with a hare's ear. 

Bob

#21 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 01:30 AM

Nice
cb27

#22 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,918 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 07:19 AM

The folks that criticize you probably have no Idea what it takes in equipment ($$$)time,passion and motivation to produce the videos you do

Nobody, on this site, criticized the video ... just the incorrect historic timeline.  Even the original "critique" was just pointing out the error and included praise for the actual video itself.

It's not the critiques that make me wonder ... but the threats.  McFly ... I hope you're recording and reporting those threats to authorities.  Even if the person(s) making the threats are bogus ... I would think they should be investigated.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#23 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 08:26 AM

The folks that criticize you probably have no Idea what it takes in equipment ($$$)time,passion and motivation to produce the videos you do

Nobody, on this site, criticized the video ... just the incorrect historic timeline.  Even the original "critique" was just pointing out the error and included praise for the actual video itself.

It's not the critiques that make me wonder ... but the threats.  McFly ... I hope you're recording and reporting those threats to authorities.  Even if the person(s) making the threats are bogus ... I would think they should be investigated.

No one criticized the video on this thread, I didnt say they did, but evenchug admitted he got a bit testy. And mainly it was a misunderstanding on what I said. Not even really that I had false info, but that he thought I didnt care. Missunderstandings is mostly what get people into confortations on here.

As for threats, I mean Id be calling the cops every week man... lol. Not really sure why they gravitate towards me, or maybe all popular youtubers get it, but Ive tried and the cops always say the same thing. Its youtube, I wouldnt worry too much. Really its not something I worry about too much either. I do a good job at keeping my address and info out of my videos. It would be difficult for someone to find me. Doesnt mean it never happened. Once I had a letter written to my address with some threats.... I did take that to the authorities and they didnt find much. However I have my suspicions on who it is. Pretty sure I know, but cant really prove it. However that was once, and the physical letter stopped after just once. And also Ive got my defenses at my house. Someone would be really sorry if they broke into my home. Hahaha.

Fly fishing and fly tying videos
www.McFlyAngler.com

#24 redietz

redietz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 08:38 AM

. Not really sure why they gravitate towards me, or maybe all popular youtubers get it, but Ive tried and the cops always say the same thing. 

I don't think it's just you.  There seem to be people out there who get their kicks by being abusive on the internet.  I've been on the receiving end, just from posting on forums, without even having youtube videos, which seem to attract a whole 'nother level of haters.   Keep up the good work, a lot of people enjoy what you do.

Bob

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fly tying, hares ear, nymph, trout fly