Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Best floating tail material

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 PENZZZ

PENZZZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:06 PM

A good reason to consider using the natural materials mentioned above, hackle barbs and CDL, is that natural materials will spring back into shape if you steam your used flies. Tails can be bent out of shape from use, or when stored in a crowded fly box. Synthetic materials, including microfibbets, generally won't spring back into shape when steamed. Same principle applies to parachute style flies. Posts made from natural materials will respond to steaming by springing back into their upright position. Poly materials won't.

#17 Patriot

Patriot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:04 AM

The cosmetics department of Walmart has just what you need:  A lifetime of fly tail material for $6!

Attached File  microfibettes-close-up.jpg   379.14KB   0 downloads

#18 JtheB

JtheB

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:48 AM

Without doubt CDL is the best I have found. However, I think that some of the others are just as good e.g. moose on a Royal Wulff, BUT also has a lot to do with the right tying technique for the material as well. Good luck.

#19 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 06:59 PM

I can say without doubt you will be disappointed with elk hair on a sparse tie, it floats great but is not durable unless in numbers. All the other suggestions made are good.. I use moose on some flies, microfibbets lately and also Metz grade 2 barred ginger hackle fibers work well for me .

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#20 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 03:05 PM

I like natural so I use hackle fibers.  CDL is great and has good mottling.  I tie in a 4-6 tail fibers with one wrap over and then take a turn under the tail and back over.  It spreads/fans the tail fibers without balling the thread.  Davie McPhail uses that method on many of his dries.