Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Interesting find today:

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:18 AM

I was collecting some bugs today, and found this among many other finds.  It the larvae of the rhyacophila caddis encased in its cocoon.  When the transformation to a pupae is finished the caddis will chew out of this almost clear cocoon and the pupae will rise to the surface and hatch into the adult.  You can make out the legs of the larvae near the right end of the green body.  While photographing this I could see the larvae moving withing the cocoon.  

A major caddis hatch is expected on this river any time now.  

Attached Files

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#2 FlyTyer15

FlyTyer15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:34 AM

Thats pretty sweet! I've never seen anything like that before.

#3 shoebop

shoebop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:19 AM

pretty cool :)

Shoebop

#4 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,486 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

Utyer in Utah, right?  Or are you back in Florida and expecting a caddis hatch here?

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#5 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:09 PM

Right I am still in Utah, the river is the Provo.

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#6 mtyburski

mtyburski

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:40 PM

That is a pretty neat find, happy fishing!

#7 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:51 AM

Cool find I have been watching my home waters closely for our hex hatch and last night with it thunder and lightning and torrential down pour they were hatching something fierce you could see trout actually coming out of the water 8 to 10 inches after the mayflies made me mad I couldn't fish

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#8 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,486 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

I never figured you for a fair weather angler, Riff.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#9 troutguy

troutguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:44 PM

If Riff were to go out during the lightning storm he becomes the title of a new John Gierach book, "Mad Man Enlightened on the Ausable."
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for the day; Teach a man to tie flies and he'll pick up all the roadkill.

#10 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

Very cool find and photo. Thanks for sharing.

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#11 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:00 PM

I would think fish would gladly eat that thing just the way it is, and what an easy fly to copy. Well, now that I think about it, it would be almost impossible to copy the translucence with the body inside. Just a plain old Sawyer Killer bug would give the shape not the translucence. Maybe that's why the Killer bug still catches it's share of fish even tho it essentially resembles nothing except maybe a slug. 

Cool pic and always love seeing pics like that.