Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

radio controlled modelling

Nope. Too much time spent indoors already. I used to do plastic models ... until I got tired of dusting off the finished ones. Then I got rid of them all and never looked back.

I thought about RC cars and planes ... but I'd rather be fishing.

I also thought about RC boats ... but I can't be near the water for more than a minute or two before I start wondering if something will bite.

I've got plenty of hobbies ... but most of them result in finished products that are useful to me.

As my signature says ... if the effort outweighs the gains, it's work, not a hobby.

Made a remote controlled glider in college one summer. I enjoyed it a lot. Those examples you give are pretty incredible hobbies.

Yep ... that jet ain't cheap !!!

I remember, when I was about 10, I was given an airplane. Little RC two stroke engine. P-51 with a prop and "realistic" paint job. Two strings to a handle ... that gave the airplane about a 40 foot flying radius with me at the center ... controlling the elevators.

Fired that baby up ... the gifter, my brother-n-law, holding it until I had the strings tight.

He let go, I made about half a successful circle when the aircraft went nose up. It made a perfect arc over my head and buried itself in the dirt. There wasn't a single part of that thing that was salvageable.

Bro-n-law was less than pleased ... I was lying on the ground laughing. Nope ... no need for me to try anything like that again.

I use to be real heavy into Rc boats as well as cars/trucks. Growing up as a kid in the late 70's and 80's my Dad & I belonged to a Rc model boat racing club and we had all sorts of boats from Hydros to outriggers and Deep V's to a twin engine out rigger that would hit close to 80mph. Then I got into Rc trucks and cars during the later 80's and 90s and then again for a spell back around 2000 or there abouts. Had around a dozen different ones such as T & E maxx, Clodbuster, all sorts of various onroad cars from Tamiya and Ofna, few different 1/10 and 1/8 scale buggies, use to race those indoors at a local track. Even had a little side business going for a few years called "Steve's lidz" where I airbrushed the lexan bodies for people and did pretty well with that.

It was a fun hobby and I still kick around the idea of getting back into it maybe some day with Rc trucks again because I always had fun with those. Just takes up so much time & money though. I was just last month looking at the latest Rc truck from traxxes called the X-maxx and that darn thing is $1000 for the RTR package, I think I have bought real cars for less than that at times lol

Used to race R/C cars off road in the late 80's. It was a wide chasm, with a voracious appetite for $$.

Sorta like Fly Fishing & Tying. But, many Hobbies are like that.

:)

Yeah, Steve !!! You need another hobby like New Orleans needs another hurricane.

It must be starting to rain in New Orleans tonight Mike because I have been looking HARD online the past couple day again at RC parts smile.png Seriously thinking about buying a set of used Clodbuster axles and then spending the winter brazing together a scale version monster truck chassis out of 1/4" aluminum tube like I did back about 15 yrs ago. I guess I need something else to take up those pesky 23 minutes of free time I have left each week after rod building and bonsai work lol

laugh.png Well ... if I get over there next February ... will there be a place for me to sleep, or will I need to get a hotel room?

I jumped in the deep end of this pool without a float.

Never did any RC but I decided to go directly into piecing together a drone.

Don’t have much time for it, so it is a slooooooow process, but pretty interesting and it has taught me quite a bit.