Fly Tying
Peartree

Hurricane Florence

Man this hurricane just got serious. My mother-in-law is bailing out of Wilmington and is coming to stay with us for an "undetermined" length of time. I like her okay, but I really don't like that word "undetermined"

It's been fluctuating up and down the scale. Hopefully, it'll keep doing so and make landfall during one of the weak phases.

Good luck to any of you living in hurricane areas this season. Looks to be ramping up in all directions.

I apologize for my previous, optimistic, comment.

Any of you even NEAR the Carolina's or Virginia ... hunker down and be safe !!!

More than 400 miles in diameter, last I heard. That's the distance from here (Orlando) to Atlanta ... and it takes 5 hours or more to drive that at highway speeds. This monster is estimated to be moving at less than 10 mph when it hit's shore, so it's going to be sitting over the coast for a long time.

Daytona Beach is expecting 10 foot waves and extra high tides from Florence.

And we're, like, this far away ...

it is this far.jpg

... from the eye, on the map !!!

I looked at the weather forecast for Wilmington NC just a bit ago, Friday says 92mph wind with gusts to 139mph and 6.8" of rain during the day then the night forecast isn't much better. I honestly just could not bring myself to live somewhere that gets that sort of weather. I dunno how some people do it, but definitely not for me!blink.png

"Winter in Michigan begins well before Thanksgiving and stretches far past Easter, which makes for four-to-six wearisome months of always-gray, always-cold, always-drizzly, but-rarely-snowy-in-a-good-way misery," Messink writes. "Some other states may see colder temps or more snow, but Michigan winters are unrivaled for their utter lack of sunshine.

"For the Michigander, this is winter: you leave work at 5 or 6, already in the dead of night, and fight your way down 94 or 96 or 75 or whatever Godforsaken stretch of highway. You can't even tell if it is drizzling rain or snow, because the brown salt sludge that sprays up off the road coats your windshield more completely than anything that falls from the sky."

laugh.png We MIGHT get a hurricane. You WILL get this EVERY Winter.

I'll take my chances with a hurricane !!!

Oh I know, everyone is different. Just for me personally I could not live in a place where it's a common occurrence that my home and everything I worked for could be destroyed in the blink of an eye every hurricane season, or like in California where you don't know if the ground is gonna open up under you and swallow your house, or in an area that has a "fire season" huh.pngohmy.pngblink.png . Just not something I personally could deal with is all so I don't mind wearing a heavy coat for 5 months of the year to avoid those things biggrin.png

Crazydry.png ... chickentongue.png ... Can't call you a "Perdue" ... since those chickens are never frozen.laugh.png (According to the commercials)

Been watching the storm coverage on TV this evening. I'm still tryin' to wrap my mind around 30" of rain that they are saying might fall there over the next 24hrs blink.png Hard to even fathom that.

Well, my mom-in-law is still with us here in Richmond VA, her house is okay so far. Report from a neighbor was no power and soon no water, because all roads into Wilmington are covered in water and they can't get fuel in for the water company to operate much longer.

We escaped most of the hurricane here

only to get massive thunderstorms and at least 3-4 tornados pass through town today.