Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ash13brook

Using Combed Out Fur from Deer hair

Good one Norm! laugh.png

Yep, it could be used as dubbing, or knitting mittens, if you can save enough of it. You would likely have to do a whole lot of tying with the deer hair, but it can be used.

I save some stuff like that for future use as dubbing, and have done it with that deer underfur. But, unlike other furs I brush out & save it doesn't accumulate very fast so not worth saving in most cases. I've saved some a few times, while tying a lot of deer hair bugs during my commercial tying days, then would go ahead & use it for dubbing as many flies as I could, maybe a dozen or so, and never saved it for long.

Matt, I hate wasting anything, but frankly you probably won't be able to save enough to be of any real value. Of course, as they say one man's junk is another's treasure, so if you're inclined, go for it! smile.png

I'm no where near that point in my tying, yet. For some reason, though, my son bought a bunch of belly hair a few years ago. Probably to dress treble hooks. So, I might as well plan on using it.

Didn't want to vacuum up a bunch of stuff and find out later I could use it. I have plenty of storage space, so far, so I'll see what happens.

Thanks,

Matt

on a serious note

i think that eventually you'll find that you just cant save every bit of waste from trimmings and they will usually end up in the trash bin

nothing beneficial in saving short bits of wire, chenille, thread etc

some bits of yarn, fluff from the bottom end of feathers etc can be chopped up in a spice/coffee grinder for dubbing

When I comb out deer hair I try to use the underfur to remove the shorter or broken hairs with it. That means that the fur is "contaminated" with hair or hair pieces. I wouldn't use it for fine dubbing as taking out all the deer hair would just take too long. Maybe if I were using it in dubbing brushes, but I don't use them. Yes you can use it, but using it may be more trouble than it is worth.

Cheers,

C.

I used to try to save and use everything, but like Norm, I soon found I was was becoming overwhelmed with bits of fuzz and cut off feathers. Now days, I just stick it in my trash bag, unless it's something I know I'll use. Most materials are too inexpensive to worry about.