Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Albino Golden stone nymph!?

spring creek stonefly species

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 leftyangler

leftyangler

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

My bug collection goes on. It's been fun. 

Today I found this unique color Stonefly nymph. As in my last topic, there are abundunt of Golden Stone nymphs in Livingston's spring creeks. Attached File  P2200873.JPG   61.32KB   102 downloads

Attached File  P2200877.JPG   74.99KB   91 downloads

Whole appearance was on Golden (size & shape). But is this albino? or a new species?

I just thought interesting anyway......

For updates, check up here.

http://leftyangler.b...t.com/p/sp.html

Lefty Angler & Tyer
Satoshi Yamamoto - Livingston, MT

My Blog
Japanese Blog
Online Fly Catalogue

Tying Videos at YouTube https://www.youtube....low=grid&view=0

#2 EricF

EricF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:32 AM

In Eric Leiser's book Stoneflies and the Angler, he talks about how when stoneflies (and other insects) molt they are often light colored.  They then color up later.  He talks about how fish often key in on that light color and he ties white or cream stonefly nymphs to match it and how successful that is.  I do as well - altho it is unclear to me how much the success is do to the fact that the fish keys into it or that I can see it in the water so well.  Anyway, my current favorite is a gold ribbed possum's ear (a joke, possums don't have hair on their ears).  But the hair on their face is a beautiful translucent cream. 

Mebbe that is what you got ...

E

#3 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:08 AM

Yep a golden in the molting stage.

sandfly/bob

www.facebook.com/bigmeadowsflyshop/

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

"I TIE FROM BILLFISH TO GUPPIE FLY'S" !
Fly Fishing and Tying Ghillie

#4 leftyangler

leftyangler

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

Thanks anglers. 

I myself "googled" and found this article of my tying hero Jack Gartside.

http://www.jackgarts..._filter_fly.htm

As EricF mentions, Eric Leiser is quoted here too. It's stating just about the same (I believe). 

It's quite educational to me, starting from just a bug. I should tie some "albino flies" for several species and experiment! 

Lefty Angler & Tyer
Satoshi Yamamoto - Livingston, MT

My Blog
Japanese Blog
Online Fly Catalogue

Tying Videos at YouTube https://www.youtube....low=grid&view=0

#5 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:17 AM

White stoneflies are great fish catchers also light colored crawfish work well for bass

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#6 DUBBN

DUBBN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

That would be the instar portion of the moult. The nymph can be White to a bright shade of Yellow for a short time. It is my opinion that most Golden Stone patterns duplicate this stage of a nymphs life cycle than any other stage.

I have zero evidence of this. Just a hunch. 

#7 Flyunder

Flyunder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:22 PM

I tie and fish a creamy/very lite tan stonefly nymph, yes it works pretty good. Good enough to tie and fish some. Great find by the way.

May your thread never fray...

#8 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:15 AM

stonefly molt;

Attached File  9-24-2010 082.jpg   36.74KB   20 downloads

sandfly/bob

www.facebook.com/bigmeadowsflyshop/

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

"I TIE FROM BILLFISH TO GUPPIE FLY'S" !
Fly Fishing and Tying Ghillie

#9 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,285 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:51 PM

when saltwater crabs, edible, velvet and swimming, molt, they release a pheromone fish home in on. Bait guys call them peeler crabs. (cause the shells peel off) Maybe hard backed nymphs also release a smell that turns fish on???
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#10 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:01 AM

That would be the instar portion of the moult.

Sorry dubbn you are using the term incorrectly.  "Instar" refers to the entire period from change-to-change.  In other words, a First instar larva is first instar from the time it emerges from an egg until it moults the first time.   A Fourth instar larva would be from the time it has moulted the third time until it moults the fourth time.  Final instar, for a stonefly, is from the time it moults the last time into a larger nymph until it exits the water and moults into an adult. 

the gales of November remembered...

#11 bad fish rising

bad fish rising

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:48 AM

I found this exact bug in the big manistee river along with some big blacks.
I couldn't believe the body differences between the 2.
the blacks were rounder like most of my flies but the gold was flat like a woven fly.
also they were much longer than my flies.
I was using 2xl hooks but now have switched to 3xl.
BADFISH RISING

#12 DUBBN

DUBBN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:45 AM

That would be the instar portion of the moult.

Sorry dubbn you are using the term incorrectly.  "Instar" refers to the entire period from change-to-change.  In other words, a First instar larva is first instar from the time it emerges from an egg until it moults the first time.   A Fourth instar larva would be from the time it has moulted the third time until it moults the fourth time.  Final instar, for a stonefly, is from the time it moults the last time into a larger nymph until it exits the water and moults into an adult. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instar

I stand corrected.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spring creek, stonefly species