Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Seining for Bugs

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 shoebop

shoebop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

Does anyone here ever use a seine to sample a river for bugs? Or maybe I should ask if you think it is worthwhile?   

Shoebop

#2 riffleriversteelheadslayer

riffleriversteelheadslayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,224 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

I do it every time I go to a new section of the river or if I haven't fished a section in a month or so

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

There is no such thing as a blank day for a fisherman. It will be saved for him by the white-throated weasel, who watches his fishing from a hole in the wall under which is lying a fish that refused all flies; or by the excitment of identifying insects; or by the apple-bloosom in a nearby orchard; and no one would call that day a blank on which he has seen a king-fisher." -- Arthur Ransome Rod and Line, 1929

#3 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,335 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

I have netted bug for over 40 years on rivers and streams all over.  Best way to learn what is there, and what to imitate.

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#4 switch10

switch10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

Yup. You can use a paint strainer found at the hardware store instead of one of those expensive seines from the fly shop...

#5 SSC

SSC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

I have been using an aquarium net.  Thanks for the tip on the paint strainer, I can just line my fishing net with the strainer and leave the aquarium net at home.  The aquarium net also has black netting, so the white netting of a paint strainer will make things easier on my eyes.  Sampling helps you see what is in the creek, but once you catch a fish, a throat pump will tell you which of the available food items the fish are after at the moment.

#6 shoebop

shoebop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

Is the paint strainer better than a piece of nylon window screening stretched between two sticks?

Shoebop

#7 switch10

switch10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="shoebop" data-cid="544173" data-time="1363902920"><p>
Is the paint strainer better than a piece of nylon window screening stretched between two sticks?</p></blockquote>

I'm not sure. It's definitely easier to pack though... As mentioned above, you just put it on your net.

#8 shoebop

shoebop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="shoebop" data-cid="544173" data-time="1363902920"><p>
Is the paint strainer better than a piece of nylon window screening stretched between two sticks?</p></blockquote>

I'm not sure. It's definitely easier to pack though... As mentioned above, you just put it on your net.

I see that! I have never seen or used one before. Probably because I don't use an airless sprayer. That looks like it will be just the ticket! :)

Shoebop

#9 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

it's always fun to see what is creeping around the stream.   A "kicknet" is best for finding nymphs. 

the gales of November remembered...

#10 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:11 AM

when i go out to get samples i use and old wood chair frame with mosquito netting stretched across, nothing gets through that. makes for some fun id-ing all the midge stuff..

sandfly/bob

www.facebook.com/bigmeadowsflyshop/

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

"I TIE FROM BILLFISH TO GUPPIE FLY'S" !
Fly Fishing and Tying Ghillie

#11 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,755 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

I usually just drive through the water ... then whatever bugs are stuck to the windshield are the ones active at that time.  Sucks fro the interior and engine, but looking at those bugs on glass is pretty easy!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#12 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,335 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

I figgured you would just look in a mirror and see what's stuck in your teeth.   I don't think I would want to be up to my butt, mucking about with nets and screens in a river full of 12 foot gators. 

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#13 throwinflys

throwinflys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:27 AM

i'll be getting one next week for my birthday... (i think) haha. i'll let you know how i like it!