Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Bug ID

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 FishnPhil

FishnPhil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:08 AM

Poopdeck, that was a good read. Made me lol but at least I know what I'm up against. Looks like I will need to figure out where they are living (it appears everywhere and not in one particular tree). Some, though not many thankfully have made their way inside also.

dadofmolly, thanks for the advice, that's something I can use on the big clumps I find outside.

Winter is not killing them, only put them to sleep hahah. They are annoying as hell, that's for sure.

#17 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:02 PM

Tried it. Dish soap has no residual killing power. You need lots of residual killing power because there are far to many of them to hunt down and shoot with dish soap.

#18 Charlie P. (NY)

Charlie P. (NY)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:56 PM

Get a Dr. Killigan's Insect Buster Duster ("poofer") with diatomaceous earth.  You can get a 10 lb bag for $15; and that's huge and many years supply.  Won't hurt people or pets.  But for insects it's like putting broken glass and Shuriken throwing stars in their lungs and joints.  

I use it to "Poof" our chickens for insect pests.

A few shots in the neck storage box keeps the feather eating kritters out as well.  As does the sprigs from a Rosemary plant - without the smell of mothballs.  I kind of like that, but THE ADMIRAL does not.  ;-)

Not that Pearsall

Pearsalls_logo.gif

#19 Dominecker

Dominecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:29 PM

They love mulch, also.

#20 FishnPhil

FishnPhil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:22 PM

Poopdeck, makes sense. Not saying I will never spray just that I'll try every other method first :)

Charlie, I am familiar with DE and it's effect on bugs with exoskeletons but hadn't thought to use it on these. Thanks for the advice!

Dominecker, I am still trying to figure out where they live. There is no mulch around my place. The owner before me used landscaping rocks. I was not able to take a good look at all of the trees to be sure I do not have a box elder, as soon as the leaves come out I will be looking.