Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Buzzby

Musky Flies

This isn't the best forum, check out the warm water forum, but flies tied large 6in. to 15in. are best having synthetics and naturals. You should now how to tie "hollow eyes style" because this way it has more "push" in the water. You should also try googling it. I would highly recommend the book "Muskie on the Fly" by Robert Tomes from "Wild Rivers Press."

This is a Musky/Pike Pattern I tied awhile back called a string leech. Mine were tied on a 4/0 hook with a 4/0 trailer hook. The body and tails are all rabbit zonker.

leech.jpg

Here's a perch pattern I tied up for pike. Something like it should work on muskies.

post-309-1230692239_thumb.jpg

This is my "Wookie" pattern that I use for bass, but have been told it would work good for what your after. It is in the pattern database.

KodiakSalmon - those are sweet!

post-13329-1230961898_thumb.jpg

Thanks OH. I'm glad when people like them and aren't, "those aren't flies because you use blades and grub tail...." (Which I do get alot...even on here.) Oh well.

But thanks. I like them.

Jeff

I like them. I'll have to try them on a smaller scale for pike and smallies. Do you get much twist in your leader. I've notice that on some my flies that have props on them.

"those aren't flies because you use....". They say the same thing about my poppers and such that I use treble hooks on.

Nope, no line twist because I use a swivel clasp on my leaders.

HA, I had a guy on here tell me that my flies aren't legal in "fly only" waters because they had more than one hook on them, and the blades would make them qualify as spinner baits. LOL, I told him that as soon as they put pike and muskie water under fly only status I'd start worrying. Until then I'm good to go! Pshaw...."purists." :rolleyes:

Guest rich mc

for musky flies look up bill shieres site wetieit.com he even sells larger wire weedguards and diving lips for crankflies. he is in northern wisc. rich

Philly also try a micro swivel between your leader and steel tippet. I use micro swivels on all of my streamers. they are so small I cant see any reason not to.

for musky flies look up bill shieres site wetieit.com he even sells larger wire weedguards and diving lips for crankflies. he is in northern wisc. rich

Have you worked with those lips before? On the website they've got them displayed and appearing to have a molded curve to them. I ordered some and they get here and they're not rigid at all like I expected, but are flat, flexible plastic just punched out of a sheet. Not upset, just not what I expected based on the pic on the website.

Do you know how to mold them? Heat I guess, but I with the few I have, I hate to experiment and ruin a couple before I figure it out...