Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mudskimmer

Acadia National Park

I will be visiting the Acadia area in a couple weeks. Its mostly a family vacation but I know I won't be able to resist tossing a few flies in the salt. Hoping to at least catch a few mackerel but was wondering if there were any other opportunities up that way (bluefish, striped bass?). Anyone fish that area before? Thanks!

I've been to Bar Harbor a couple times and have looked into this very thing. Unfortunately there's not much. I've heard conflicting things about stripers. The people I've talked to all say that there used to be but now there's nothing there except lobster and mackerel. I've found a couple internet reports saying that there's a few here and there. There's no, or very few, guides in the area, which may be telling. Most of the Maine guides are down in southern Maine, but your best bet for a guide in the immediate area might be to look for guides around Ellsworth on the mainland. Or just drive an hour or two down south a bit if you really want some Stripers. There's plenty in south Maine.

There's plenty of freshwater fishing though on MDI. Mainly bass and bluegill in all of the ponds. Trout and in some cases landlocked salmon either deep, early in the season, or late in the season.

All of the creeks on the island are chock full of Brook Trout. They're small but really fun to catch and very beautiful. They're not picky either.

dafack01, Thanks for the first hand info. I suspected that was the case. Mackerel and brookies are fun in their own right. I'll bring along the 4 weights.

You're welcome! MDI is amazing and you'll have a blast regardless. Any creek you find will have Brook Trout and they'll hit anything. Just be somewhat stealthy. You don't need to get all army commando but don't stomp around either. I just fished for Brook Trout the second time I was there and had a blast. Have fun!