Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Does anyone have a granite or stone topped fly tying desk?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,741 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:00 AM

Guys, that foam material is actually called Barkeeper's Friend.  It is used behind the bar to drain clean glasses.  Someone came up with the idea of lining drawers.

LOL Skeet.  I am calling "baloney" on "bar keeper's friend".

I don't know how it was originally developed, but draining clean glasses behind the bar is one use ... not THE original use.

We used rubber coated wire grates LONG before that stuff was ever on the scene.

Barkeeper's Friend is a company ... https://www.barkeepersfriend.com/ ... from my home State of Indiana.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#17 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,364 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:24 AM

Barkeepers friend is a cleaning product like comet so how does that relate to foam draining mats?

The fish care less than we do!

#18 skeet3t

skeet3t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:52 AM

It was used behind the bar as I said.  Got the names mixed up with the cleaning product.  My mistake and so late in the month!  Can't remember if it is two or three now.  Never saw the wire grates.  Rust?

The foam sheets have a lot of uses.  Taking lids off jars, cushion for a vise, keeping things from sliding on the bench, etc.

John Torchick

So much water, so little time!
Enjoying the Creation, Praising the Creator!

#19 scubohuntr

scubohuntr

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:26 PM

I doubt there is much schist being used as countertops. Most has either got too much mica, hence little or no strength, or garnets which would chew hell out of saws and polishing equipment.

#20 PJ2

PJ2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 03:32 PM

I say if you can afford it ,go for it but I would chose a neutral color and light in color. I can only imagine my wife bugging out if she saw me getting a marble/ granite top for my fly bench. Might be the end of my marriage. Hmmmmm, I might have stumbled upon something here....  

#21 bass master

bass master

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 08:01 PM

I dont care where it started. It a great idea and Im trying it out. Have a white roll in the kitchen drawer. Something else that I will claim. Thats the liner not the granite. 

#22 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 08:52 PM

I think this is a great idea, if glare is problem they make paper in buff, light blue, eggshell, etc., that you can put in the background
Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Happily living in "Longmire's" county

😎

#23 DrVette

DrVette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:34 PM

I have tried 2 different granite bases for my norvise. I loved it being solid. But got tired of not seeing hooks on it and glass beads dropped on granite ricochet to parts unknown. Went back to polycarbonate base.

Any chance you might consider selling one? I Have wanted a heavier base for my Nor-Vice and would like to try one. I would prefer a lighter color. I have 4 different lights on my tying desk because of my glaucoma. It might not change my problems seeing much but could add some stability.

#24 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:13 PM

When my wife contracted granite countertops for our first house, I was pissed off that they included the hole for the sink in the total square footage. Yeah, that's just me.
The sink was over 3 square feet, I don't remember exactly, but it equated to a hefty dollar amount for empty space. I asked what did they do with the 3 square feet of granite that I was paying for but not taking possession of? I got the expected blank stare and stammering stuttering.
A day or two later, we were in some bourgeois shop which sold expensive vinegar and tea and other bullsh*t. Lo and behold they had these smooth chunks of granite to be used as cheese-cutting surfaces or something... And they were 4 or 5 times the price per square foot of what I just paid!
Obviously I had to ask where they got them, and one guess as to the answer... Granite counter-top companies. So they got paid for the hole, then sold the pieces AGAIN to a different market.
You can believe I raised hell and demanded I get my cut-out piece from the sink hole! They didn't like it. I didn't care. When I got it, it was in 3 pieces, "oops it broke" ... yeah right.
anyway, I had a nice piece of granite under a gutter downspout on the corner of my house so heavy rains didn't wash a hole in the dirt, a nice piece which I used under the kickstand of my motorcycle when I parked it in the yard, and I gave serious thought to making a tying vise base out of the third piece.
I never got around to it. It is probably still sitting in the garage of that house.

In our current house when my wife bought granite countertops, I couldn't get motivated enough to care what they did with the missing piece.

the gales of November remembered...

#25 petelangevin

petelangevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:38 PM

Dr vette if you are in the boston area i will give you one of the two i made

#26 petelangevin

petelangevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:40 PM

It drilled for a NOR-VISE so may not work for you

#27 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:05 AM

http://www.adirondac...ase-vise-holder

http://alaskahalibut.../thegranitefly/

#28 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 11:46 AM

I have a base for my vise made from Corian. You would think it would be to light. But it is large enough to provide a stable base. It just wanted to slide around. I sprayed the bottom if it with some 3M spray adhesive and stuck the drawer liner to it. Used an utility knife to trim it flush all around and it works great. No more sliding around.

A big sheet of it also works well in wood working to hold your work piece in place when using a hand held router.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#29 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:11 PM

I have some granite in a couple colors laying around if anyone wants a piece for a vise base. I'll cut it to whatever size you want and throw it in a box for cost of shipping the edges will be rough though, I don't have proper polishing equipment but could do what I can with an angle grinder for a small fee or trade.