Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Shipping Flies?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:30 AM

I tied flies commercially for many years & when shipping flies that I didn't have to be concerned about getting crushed, such as streamers,I placed them in a 4 mil plastic bag between cut pieces of card board, then into a padded mailer. The 4 mil plastic bags are tough & the extra card board kept the hooks from poking thru the padded envelope. 

I used the Altoid cans too for dry flies & other flies that might get crushed, but otherwise a small plastic box inside a shipping box worked as well as anything.

One note about shipping plastic fly or other boxes, even inside a padded envelope they can get damaged since much of the sorting is done by machine. Plano or similar boxes are great, but do get crushed/broken sometimes. I came to prefer shipping in boxes with plenty of "padding" inside. It costs a little more but I had less problems.

#17 Roland58

Roland58

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:03 PM

bunch of lies I tied for him.
Lol if hes getting into fishing hell be tying up his own lies pretty quickly lmao sorry couldn't resist but yes altoid tin is perfect

Joe, you missed the part at the end where he says,"ship flied all around." Must have sent them airmail! Good thing "ship" was correct or it could have hit the fan! BTW, I think you left an apostrophe out of "he'll." If you start proof reading mine, you will never have time to fish! Of course, you could be right, we could ALL be in fishing "hell!"

bunch of lies I tied for him.
Lol if hes getting into fishing hell be tying up his own lies pretty quickly lmao sorry couldn't resist but yes altoid tin is perfect

Roland

All electrical devices are powered by smoke, when the smoke escapes they will no longer work.

#18 Freddo

Freddo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:48 PM

Oh my where has this post gone to? A lesson in typing and proofreading?!? Ha - LOL - you're all too funny! We all tend to type too quickly at times, click "Post", and not look back right away. And BTW...I corrected my initial "fail!"

Thanks again to all of you that have posted your ideas - they're awesome and useful. I'm sure to be shipping more flies over time and now have great insight. The flies (not lies) I shipped out got to my buddy "A" OK! He's looking forward to fishing them.

All the Best -- Freddo

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. [1 Corinthians 13:11 (NKJV)]

#19 Foreverteachable

Foreverteachable

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:23 PM

I am a teacher so I go through plenty of Airborne tablets. The containers are waterproof and work for shipping and carrying flies in a vest.

#20 Foreverteachable

Foreverteachable

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:24 PM

Great thread, thanks for sharing your thoughts

#21 josephcsylvia

josephcsylvia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:28 AM

Roland.

Lol. Sometimes I hit a key and it doesnt input anything. And then when I read it back my mind auto corrects it :)

Yes I missed that last line haha.