Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Hello new to tying love fishing ;)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 wlshafor

wlshafor

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:20 PM

Hello everyone....

My name is Warren. I just got into fly tying and I can not wait to dive more into the art. I enjoy fly fishing as well as many other things. 

Just doing a quick intro.... I'm located near Austin TX and I fly fish off of my kayak mainly. 

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

-Thomas A. Edison

#2 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:23 PM

Welcome.  You're in the right place.  I used to fish Lake Austin in a canoe, catch Rio Grande Perch (actually a cichlid) on popping bugs.  They're really good eatin' and fun catchin'. 

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it."

Agatha Christie

"No one wants advice -- only corroboration."

John Steinbeck

"I had six faithful serving men, they taught me all I knew.

Their names were what? and why? and when? and how? and where? and who?"
Rudyard Kipling

#3 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,726 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:34 PM

Welcome to the site, Warren.  Actually, I think there are several members in here from your neck o' the woods.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#4 wlshafor

wlshafor

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 09:11 AM

Rio's are a blast to catch in the creeks around here. For eating I believe that they are related to tilapia in some way. 

Welcome.  You're in the right place.  I used to fish Lake Austin in a canoe, catch Rio Grande Perch (actually a cichlid) on popping bugs.  They're really good eatin' and fun catchin'. 

Awesome, Texas has many creeks, ponds and lakes that are good for fishing. 

Welcome to the site, Warren.  Actually, I think there are several members in here from your neck o' the woods.

-Thomas A. Edison

#5 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:56 PM

Rios are indeed related to Tilapia.  Both are from the family cichlidae, none of which are native to the U.S.  Some cichlids have migrated into the U.S., others were released from tropical fish hobbyists.  Just south of Tampa FL, there used to be a number of tropical fish hatcheries, and the ditches and creeks in that area were chock full of black mollies, etc. that got loose due to sloppy handling.

But Rios are really good... just like bluegills (which are native, thank goodness!)

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it."

Agatha Christie

John Steinbeck

Rudyard Kipling

#6 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,726 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:10 PM

Flafly ... from several sources online ... "Rio Grande Cichlid is the only cichlid species that is native to the lower United States."

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#7 FlaFly

FlaFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:25 PM

When I lived down there, that wasn't the story.  But they're definitely spreading.  Some years back, one was found in a canal in Tampa.  Don't know whether it was due to fish hobbyists or natural biogeography. 

Agatha Christie

John Steinbeck

Rudyard Kipling

#8 Roland58

Roland58

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:59 PM

Welcome Warren,
If you were just a little bit closer to Tyler, we could do some yak fishing. I just got my first yak (Ocean Prowler 13'4") some months ago and started fly tying just before that. You have become a part of a great forum with even greater people, all willing to help any way they can. Once again, welcome and enjoy your stay!

Roland

All electrical devices are powered by smoke, when the smoke escapes they will no longer work.

#9 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:27 PM

Welcome!Don't be afraid to ask questions!I'd love to land a nice gator gar on a fly rod sometime!Heard they are plentiful there
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret
Once a Marine,Always a Marine-Semper Fidelis

#10 wlshafor

wlshafor

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:38 PM

Great kayak!!! I have a few plastic boats myself. I just sold my wife's Ocean Kayak Trident and bought her a Diablo Amigo 

CF275AF5-7E8C-43D9-B0CD-7BC000ED5CBC_zps

Welcome Warren,
If you were just a little bit closer to Tyler, we could do some yak fishing. I just got my first yak (Ocean Prowler 13'4") some months ago and started fly tying just before that. You have become a part of a great forum with even greater people, all willing to help any way they can. Once again, welcome and enjoy your stay!

-Thomas A. Edison

#11 jjs89yj

jjs89yj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:15 PM

Hey Warren, I live up in Georgetown/Liberty Hill between the north and south forks of the san gabriel.  You should try making it to a few of the weekly fly tying nights at the fly shop in Round Rock.  They are Wednesdays starting at 7 and free.  Lots of really helpful people there and just an over all good time.

#12 troutah

troutah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:38 AM

Was just out there for a graduation last weekend.  Looks like you all have some big old carp out your way to chase.  I wish I was close enough to hit up La Barbecue on a regular basis.  Those beef ribs are the bomb.  Welcome.

#13 wlshafor

wlshafor

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:48 PM

Caught on July 23 from a homemade fly I tied :)

Attached Files

-Thomas A. Edison

#14 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:47 PM

welcome fellow yak fisherman
Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Happily living in "Longmire's" county