Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

How to use the Scientific Angler's fly line cleaning pad

cleaning pad

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SpokaneDude

SpokaneDude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:25 PM

Noob here... I just bought the Scientific Anglers Fly Line Dressing package, which contains a "pad" which is sort of smooth on one side and foam on the other.  Which side do I use to clean my line? 

#2 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,369 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:54 PM

no instructions with the kit?

watch the movie from sci anglers

The fish care less than we do!

#3 DrVette

DrVette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:52 PM

Wow, buying a pad??? Glad i know better, maybe?? I am a mechanic by hobby (sometimes trade) the index finger of my right hand is so calloused  that i just strip leader and lines through that by pressing with my thumb. Add dressing by smearing on your fingers before you pull the line through. Man am i ever an old hillbilly fart...

#4 SpokaneDude

SpokaneDude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 05:02 PM

Thank you so much... I went to their website but didn't find the video... told me exactly what I needed to know... too bad the lame instructions that come with the package don't give more detail.  Thanks again...

#5 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,291 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:11 PM

When you've used up the supplied cleaner, just use silicon lubricant on a lint free cloth and it'll keep your line floating well.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#6 Brian Myers

Brian Myers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:01 PM

Thank you so much... I went to their website but didn't find the video... told me exactly what I needed to know... too bad the lame instructions that come with the package don't give more detail.  Thanks again...

They don't give any instructions on using the pad with the kit. It always left me wondering should the pad be dry or wet when used. I used it dry (rough side) on a Cortland Lazer line once then used the stuff in the bottle and the line wouldn't should worth anything after that. Now I use the pad wet with a bucket of soapy water and that seems to be fine on my current lines. Actually a generic microfiber cloth works just as well maybe even better than the pad.

#7 SpokaneDude

SpokaneDude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:57 PM

Hi Brian... yes, I used it dry, and had the same results that you had... the line sank faster and deeper than before, which really irritated me.  So, now I'll use it for the rest of the season and then get Rio line in the spring.  I'm going to write to SA and tell them what happened.

Thanks for responding.

SD

#8 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:55 PM

I just cleaned my sa line with some Windex and a lint free cloth after it got some really nasty plant sap on it worked fine. Most of the time I just use a damp rag and I spray it with that reel magic every so often which helps it shoot a lot better.

#9 DrVette

DrVette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:08 PM

Seriously, I am VERY old school. Does the WD40 wipe down work on newer lines?

I have a WF5 floating line that i think was made in the 1950s that i still use that on.

I haven't had enough guts to try on my lazer lines. I just grab a wet cloth and rub them clean...But???

#10 SpokaneDude

SpokaneDude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:11 PM

I wrote to SA and they have agreed to replace the line... I'm a happy camper!

#11 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:48 AM

I've never used line dressing.What is the benefit?
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret
Once a Marine,Always a Marine-Semper Fidelis

#12 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,755 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:36 AM

Just like the turkey at Thanksgiving ... dressing makes it taste better.

Puts a coating on the line to better keep surface scum from sticking.  Floating lines float better, sinking lines ... I don't know, since I never use sinking lines.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#13 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 07:24 AM

Just like the turkey at Thanksgiving ... dressing makes it taste better.

Puts a coating on the line to better keep surface scum from sticking.  Floating lines float better, sinking lines ... I don't know, since I never use sinking lines.
Thanks,Mike!Learned something new today!
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret
Once a Marine,Always a Marine-Semper Fidelis