Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Related SMBass Hook Question

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,364 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 07:31 AM

i'm sure there a variations of variations of most fly patterns :)

The fish care less than we do!

#17 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:49 PM

I use the eagle claw hooks from walmart also.Never failed me yet and the fish don't care.

Are they labeled Eagle Claw Fly Hooks? I've never seen them at my Walmart.

Hah, that's funny lol ! A lot of the guys like the Eagle Claw Aberdeen hooks. I often use the bait hooks for some of my salmon streamers and small mouth as well ( mostly palmered marabou smelt patterns). Nothing hooks up like those bait hooks IMO ( I think it's the gnarly bent points on them), and I use those barbed if I'm fishing for a meal, rare but I do do it now and then. Salmon take those in earnest , rarely a lip hook but inside the mouth. When a fish grabs one of those streamers you got em. I only fish those streamers on 2x or more tippet.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#18 feathers5

feathers5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:52 PM

I use the eagle claw hooks from walmart also.Never failed me yet and the fish don't care.

Hah, that's funny lol ! A lot of the guys like the Eagle Claw Aberdeen hooks. I often use the bait hooks for some of my salmon streamers and small mouth as well ( mostly palmered marabou smelt patterns). Nothing hooks up like those bait hooks IMO ( I think it's the gnarly bent points on them), and I use those barbed if I'm fishing for a meal, rare but I do do it now and then. Salmon take those in earnest , rarely a lip hook but inside the mouth. When a fish grabs one of those streamers you got em. I only fish those streamers on 2x or more tippet.

Dude, I was serious. I never looked for fly hooks at Walmart, and I figured, maybe I overlooked them.  You guys use the Aberdeen hooks for streamers? I'm looking for cheaper hooks to tie Clouser patterns.

#19 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:29 PM

Dude, I was serious. I never looked for fly hooks at Walmart, and I figured, maybe I overlooked them.  You guys use the Aberdeen hooks for streamers? I'm looking for cheaper hooks to tie Clouser patterns.

Some of the guys do, yes. You won't find dry fly hooks and such there.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#20 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,749 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:59 PM

You guys use the Aberdeen hooks for streamers? I'm looking for cheaper hooks to tie Clouser patterns.

I use the aberdeen hooks for a lot of different patterns.  On the bottom shelf, you'll find small packages of 25 or 50 hooks ($3.50 I think).  Sizes 2 through 8.  Straight shank and eye.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#21 phg

phg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 05:05 PM

The Eagle Claw Aberdeen hook has been my principal short streamer hook since the 1960's!  I keep size 6, 8 and 10 on my bench at all times.  I prefer the gold color.

Eagle Claw always has always made a pretty good hook.  Sometimes you can find Eagle Claw fly tying hooks in catalogs and some outlets.  Most of what Wal-Mart carries, though, isn't much use for fly tyers. 

#22 tidewaterfly

tidewaterfly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:23 AM

I've said this before, but search for South Bend brand Aberdeen hooks in a bronze finish. ( Gold is fine too, but I've only used the bronze in this brand) They're made in various sizes & those I've used have a straight eye. IMO a very good & inexpensive hook to tie on. No, they're not fly hooks & they may even be found in Walmart, but I've never looked. I also like the EC (and Mustad) Aberdeen's for some smaller flies I've tied over the years, primarily for targeting panfish. 

Point is, look around & shop for your hooks & you can find some great deals on hooks that "can" be used for tying. They don't have to be "fly" hooks!  wink.png

BTW, sizes 2 to 8 are not bad sizes for SM bass flies for most places. Aberdeen's work well for these sizes. If you're finding big trophy size SM, then try a "better" hook.

#23 saltydancindave

saltydancindave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:46 AM

i'm sure there a variations of variations of most fly patterns smile.png

Excuse the dust as they are 20 years old +

IMGP1810_zps2551ef88.jpg

#24 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:40 PM

The Eagle Claw hooks are available in bronze but you might not find them in WalMart. The larger Eagle Claw Aberdeen hooks are pretty hefty, I use the 3/0 for some of my pike streamers or very large poppers and throw away(read bluefish) salt water flies.
"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#25 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:17 AM

One thing not mentioned but what I find very desirable with the eagle claw Aberdeen hooks is how they bend. I fish rocky river bottoms that eat up lures. The Aberdeen hooks bend and unsnag themselves quite often.