Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

New to the hobby

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#46 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 10:18 PM

Cold- Never took a college art class, so Picasso was not an inspiration. My loss, uh, the art class not Picasso. After living in Wyoming for decades, I was luckily able to spend a day in the Chicago Art Institute and was blown away. Saw an awesome Van Gogh that depicted a boat & fishing scene. Realized that what we feel about our sport and hobby is Really Old and did not start with A River Runs Through It, although I liked that book and movie for reasons that have nada to do with fly-fishing.

So , welcome again J8000, and sorry if your thread was hijacked. But there is a something of a legacy to uphold and this is where it happens, in my opinion, in the 21 st century. You will see art like nothing else here, and this group clearly enjoys new insights so please contribute as much or as little as you need. No stupid questions here, I learn something every day, despite 50 + years of
Flyrodding. There are problem-solvers here out the wazoo, with lots of teasing but nothing judgmental, and if I be wrong about this I can be sure someone will tell me, pronto, that Inam full of s.....tuff. Have fun dude, it is the only point of this site
Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Happily living in "Longmire's" county

😎

#47 Kentuckysteve

Kentuckysteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 10:35 PM

Welcome to the forum J8000.I think your flies look great.A few of the heads have a little thread built up but not a big deal.As you tie more you will figure out how to use less thread or allow more room around the eye to prevent overcrowding it.Don't worry so much about it and just keep on tying flies.You will get it worked out.Youre doing fine.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing........Than the worm. -  Patrick F. McManus

#48 Cold

Cold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 10:38 PM

#49 Cold

Cold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 10:42 PM

#50 Flat Rock native

Flat Rock native

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:09 PM

Cold, there is no question that Judeo-Christian history is filled with fishing imagery and a special connection with fishermen. Works for me. But also Reminds me of another stolen quote to the effect that one can "Pray while I fish, but I can't fish at church" to excuse playing hookey from the Sunday formalities.
Kenduardo's Lure & Fly

Buffalo, Wyoming

Happily living in "Longmire's" county

😎

#51 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 03:49 PM

Cold,
That is what it comes down to in the end, the reaction.
Picasso's Guernica, for example, will always speak to me.
But Miley is, in my book, another semi talented individual from the Disney factory who had it made just because of her last name.
Comparing the two is also getting some kind of reaction out of me. I have to stop now.

And.... Welcome to the forum!
Bimini15