Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

New Member from Ontario

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bigugly

Bigugly

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:18 PM

Father of two sons age 13 and 18 who have recently got into fly fishing and now tying. In four weeks we have got two vises and a grand in supplies and tools. Certainly not a cheap pastime but very addictive and fun. Something about taking a hook and a bunch of material and creating a fish fooling device. We have all caught our first fish on our own flies. Both boys have brought in Chinook and I fooled a few largemouth. Basically we are tying buggers, leaches and nymphs. Here is a small selection we have createdAttached File  image.jpeg   131.25KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpeg   86.6KB   0 downloads

#2 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,741 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:41 PM

Welcome to the site.

That's some truly good looking work for beginners.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 Bigugly

Bigugly

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:50 PM

Thanks mikechell, we've worked really hard but haven't really branched out with tying. All we tie is what we catch fish on and our neck of the woods that means buggers, leeches and small heavy fast sinking nymphs. 

#4 feathers5

feathers5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:55 PM

Welcome from Pennsylvania. You're already on a roll. You and your sons are beginning a great passion.

#5 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,741 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:26 PM

I usually tell all new tiers ... This is a great forum, with fantastic members.  

But there's some really good instructional material from Al Campbell at another site.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis