Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Wire size

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 thursthouse

thursthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:28 AM

I agree that I use BR more than any other (small coming in second) - but for the price, why not just stock up?  Gold, silver, black, chartreuse and red IMHO for nymphs

#17 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,332 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:42 PM

MIke, I measured, my wire, and its .004 inch diameter.  Maybe just a hair thicker, but not more than .00425.  

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#18 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,726 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 03:50 PM

0.004" is tiny, indeed.  

I keep waiting for "How it's made" to do a show on ignition coils.  The secondary wires are so small,  a cross section of the hundreds or thousands of wraps in the coil look like a solid piece of copper.  How they wrap those, and with insulation that prevent each wire from touching others, and without breaking ... must be a sight to see.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#19 Mainard

Mainard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:26 PM

I saw a post somewhere else and they suggested old Christmas light wire . I had a couple strands that had quit that I was going to try and repair but I striped some of it and it works great for smaller flies.

#20 petelangevin

petelangevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:04 AM

If you have an electric motor repair shop in your area you can buy enameled copper wire by the foot