Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Deer hair

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Li'lDave

Li'lDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:39 PM

Yeah mate.  Was actually out with one of my white models with a bunny tail yesterday.  It essentially suspends which is awesome, and rides hook point down.  Got a little GT with it and missed out on a couple of little queenfish, and had some interest shown by a couple of other critters as well.

The technique I tried with this was actually spinning the hair into a brush and then applying.  I have found that wax on the thread and that thinner diameters work best (for me).

I have been watching some youtube vids, and the next thing I want to try is the more traditional 'stacking' like a few others on here seem to be exceptionally good at.

Dave Little
Club President, North Queensland Fly Fishers Inc.
www.nqflyfishers.com

#17 josephcsylvia

josephcsylvia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 08:08 PM

I was out with a white model with a bunny tail too yesterday. Was fun till I had to drop her back off at Hugh Hefner's house! ;) lol

#18 Adam Saarinen

Adam Saarinen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:03 AM

Attached File  IMG_20161010_113356.JPG   41.15KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20161010_113424.JPG   39.85KB   1 downloads I bought this tool by Stonfo Dave, not to keen on holding just the razor after a lot of beers! Finally found the razors in a shop here, a long way from cheap 7.95 euros for 5 Gillette Platinum razors! I'm no expert, but think these bass bugs are a lot of fun! What i do know is only buy belly hair & comb all the fluff out, if your buying hair in a shop? Check it well, depending when it was killed it will have a lot of fluff or not much, should make a chrunchy noise with not much fluff! Most belly hair here seems very short or has a horrible bend, maybe all the short stuff is sent here thinking we only make salmon bombers? Pack the hair good too! I made my own packer, it's in the lodge!

#19 Li'lDave

Li'lDave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:04 AM

Thanks mate.

Have a couple of nice patches of belly hair and a couple of good local suppliers which is awesome.

Just as well I'm not much of a drinker.

Had some news today that put a dampener on tying tonight so we'll see how we go tomorrow.

Dave Little
Club President, North Queensland Fly Fishers Inc.
www.nqflyfishers.com

#20 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,748 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:20 AM

I was out with a white model with a bunny tail too yesterday. Was fun till I had to drop her back off at Hugh Hefner's house! wink.png lol

Oooohhh !!!

If we meet, and your wife is along with you ... is this something I shouldn't mention ??? 

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#21 josephcsylvia

josephcsylvia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 09:01 AM

I was out with a white model with a bunny tail too yesterday. Was fun till I had to drop her back off at Hugh Hefner's house! wink.png lol

Oooohhh !!!

If we meet, and your wife is along with you ... is this something I shouldn't mention ??? 
nah its a reoccurring dream, she knows all about it lol

#22 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,748 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:21 PM

LOL

Barbed hooks rule!

#23 Chia

Chia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:35 PM

I have tied for a while. But I have never messed with deer hair much. Is there a "starter" warm water pattern?

#24 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,748 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:54 PM

Dahlberg Diver or the basic Deer Hair Popper.

Barbed hooks rule!

#25 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:04 PM

Poppers are pretty easy as long as you aren't worried about the front coming out completely flat.

#26 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:37 PM

I would start with a muddler. Smaller head, less deer hair work and you can still save the fly if you mess the trimming.
Bimini15

#27 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 03:43 AM

I would start with a muddler. Smaller head, less deer hair work and you can still save the fly if you mess the trimming.

Oh you must be talking about like I did last year, started out tying a popper and ended up with a diver LOL ! It swims nice though.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#28 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:21 AM

Jump in its not that difficult. Takes more time than your average fly but no more difficult.

#29 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:50 PM

Oh you must be talking about like I did last year, started out tying a popper and ended up with a diver LOL ! It swims nice though.

You got it! ;)
Bimini15