Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

critique of picket pin

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 swampsinger

swampsinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:18 PM

Again, thanks for the tips and infomation. I have a little more confidence in this fly.  I reduced the amount of material and paid attention to where and how I tied in, still room for improvement but heading in the right direction.  I can easily see you could also put the dam to use.  I haven't tried tying wings on anything, and come spring I'm going to fish still water Trout ponds and lakes, so I thought I try some of the classic patterns. So far I've attempted the, Dark Montreal, Grizzly King, Doc Spratley, "Picket Pin", Spruce Fly, and the Alexandra. I had to substitute here and there ie did not have badger for the spruce.  

Attached File  IMG_1048.JPG   163.31KB   2 downloads

#17 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:33 PM

According to the Fly Tyer Pattern Bible that looks more like a Brown Dredgebug

IMG_7827_zpszcjdyqtr.jpg

IMG_7826_zpsgzqifoky.jpg

#18 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:34 PM

Again, thanks for the tips and infomation. I have a little more confidence in this fly.  I reduced the amount of material and paid attention to where and how I tied in, still room for improvement but heading in the right direction.  I can easily see you could also put the dam to use.  I haven't tried tying wings on anything, and come spring I'm going to fish still water Trout ponds and lakes, so I thought I try some of the classic patterns. So far I've attempted the, Dark Montreal, Grizzly King, Doc Spratley, "Picket Pin", Spruce Fly, and the Alexandra. I had to substitute here and there ie did not have badger for the spruce.  

attachicon.gifIMG_1048.JPG

I don't know where you will be still water trout fishing but at some point during the spring in most trout waters will be chironamid hatches. i was catching rainbows this spring on the emergers, they are much more prolific at catching trout than the dry ever was. Kaufmans Chironamid pattern is a good one. Over seas they like Buzzers. We were catching both rainbows and browns on small Hornbergs as well, another staple fly on trout ponds everywhere. Where are your Woolie buggers ? You're gonna need Woollie Buggers but you have all winter to tie them. The Picket Pin  should be pretty good too. Another good still water pattern is Peacock and Hen. Try all that you tied as well of course but these are pretty standard patterns for still water all over.

FWIW, the Grizzly King Wet fly is the first wet fly I ever tied. Didn't do too hot on trout with that, so I did the Leadwing Coachman next and two years in a row running it got me tagged trout in a particular pond. Eventually I switched over to the Peacock and Hen in it's place though, very simple soft hackle fly to tie but very effective in still and moving water. You will probaby find the name under Peacock and Partridge, I swapped out the Partridge/Grouse hackle for natural hen.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"