Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

which thread?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 Kentuckysteve

Kentuckysteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:14 AM

I use the cheap india bobbins.I have probably 12 of them and never had a problem with them.

I like the veevus.Only have a couple spools but it's probably the strongest thread i have used.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing........Than the worm. -  Patrick F. McManus

#32 Cold

Cold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 11:49 AM

#33 johnnyquahog

johnnyquahog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:09 PM

This new to the market bobbin looks interesting.  Next time I get to the Bears Den I'll have to give it a good look.  Tungsten better than ceramic?  Maybe.

Attached Files

#34 phg

phg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:30 PM

You didn't say what size hooks you are tying on.  That is critical!

On size 10-14, I generally use Danville 6/0, but I do have some UTC 6/0 and Uni 6/0

On size 16-20, I'll generally go with Uni 8/0, but I also have Veevus 12/0 and Griffith's 14/0

Larger than a 10, and on some 10's, I step up to 3/0 or Danville flat waxed nylon.

Uni-Thread is fused, so the strands don't separate.  It stays round.

Uni 6/0 and UTC 6/0 are significantly thicker than Danville 6/0

Danville Flat Waxed Nylon is 210d, and approximately the same thickness as their 3/0 threads.

Veevus (and the old Benecchi) are multi-stranded, and can be made to lay flat for less buildup.

Colors I use the most of?  Number 1 is Black, hands down.  Number 2 is probably white.  After that, I find I use pale yellow (Lt. Cahill) and olive about equally.  Of course, I have red, tan, grey, dark olive, green, hot orange, etc., etc., but I rarely use them.

#35 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:59 PM

The fish care less than we do!

#36 Adam Saarinen

Adam Saarinen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 02:17 PM

I want that new loon toy for my playroom!

#37 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:27 PM

But is it really 7 times better, cooler, stronger, more necessary than your regular $10 bobbin?
Bimini15

#38 Cold

Cold

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:54 PM