Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Does Thread Go Bad

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ron J

Ron J

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 05:26 PM

Greetings,

I obtained some old fly tying materials including a variety of thread.  The paper tags on the ends of a lot of the spools are missing so I don't know the weight of the thread for some of them. Some seem a little dusty.  My main concern is that some of the thread breaks pretty easily if you pull on it.  I have tried comparing it to some other 3/0 and 6/0 thread that I have and is seems to break easier then it does.  Can thread go bad if it is old?  Can it loose it strength, or could this be thinner 8/0 thread.

Thanks

Ron

#2 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 05:51 PM

A blast from the past:
http://www.flytyingf...ead dust weak

Answers to your question start on post #40
Bimini15

#3 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:07 PM

Tom Rosenbauer says tying thread does degrade over time. I tie with it and see if it has weakened. I won't throw away tying thread without trying it first.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#4 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 08:32 AM

I see this was only your 3rd post. I don't want to insult anyone, but are you a new tier or just new to the forum? Thread will weaken over decades, but has said earlier try it before tossing it.

It may be breaking because it's a smaller thread than even 8/0. Could be your bobbin holder. Or just becasue it's old.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#5 Adam Saarinen

Adam Saarinen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:47 AM

Don't have to wait for textreme to go bad, it just is!

#6 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 10:56 AM

If you are new to tying, a lot has to do with knowing your threads. Even degraded thread can be used in many flies if you get a feel for the breaking point. If it is breaking inconsistently, either the thread is really gone or, as said before, the bobbin holder may be the culprit. I have thread that is over a decade old and still works fine.
Bimini15

#7 mvendon

mvendon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:05 PM

Hi Ron,

If the thread has really degraded over time, it should start fraying as well as being much weaker than it was when it was new.  Try pulling several yards off of each suspect spool and then try it again when you get to an underlying layer. If the thread is really shot, it will probably be every bit as weak as the outer layer was. I wouldn't waste much time with old thread if it gave me problems. We live in the best of times for stuff like this. You could never find thread in such small diameter sizes with really good Tensile strength 30 or 40 years ago.

Regards,

Mark

#8 Al Beatty

Al Beatty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:12 AM

Hi Group,

Yes, spools of thread will dry rot over time or be damaged by continued exposure to the sun. If you find the thread breaking too easy and suspect it is "rotten" then before throwing the spool away, strip off a few layers and see if the thread is good under-the-bad. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty
www.btsflyfishing.com

#9 JayWirth

JayWirth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:29 PM

It sounds like not so much of degrading over time but what care was taken during the lifetime of the thread.  I also tend to do the same as Al mentions with stripping off a layer or two of thread to see if its just a damaged top layer.  That being said, I have decades of production tying under my belt with thread that was purchased before I started in the family business.  I know how this thread was stored, no damage (water, temp, etc...), and have become familiar with the same brand, size, & color in the last 30+ years.  The thread in my inventory has maintained its quality, sometimes I find a deal on similar old stock at shows or online and have found some old thread (same brand & age) isn't so good.

"Everyone has a responsibility to not only tolerate another person's point of view, but also accept it eagerly as a challenge to your own understanding. And express those challenges in terms of serving other people."

Arlo Guthrie

#10 carpflyguy

carpflyguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 05:23 PM

Tom Rosenbauer says he replaces thread every 2 years. I do the same.