Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Pro Sportfisher 3d Tabbed eyes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FlatsRoamer

FlatsRoamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:40 AM

Before I buy a bunch of them, does anyone have any experience in using these?

And, I am assuming that you just tightly wrap them in hard and help the cause with a little superglue?

Flats

Still hunting for my first tarpon on fly! 

Why are windknots in love with me?

Can't wait for that diy trip to Acklins!!

Find my youtube channel in the link below

https://www.youtube....plkVnmuDObYCLBg

#2 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,741 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:41 AM

I thought, upon first look, that they'd be tied in like Jungle Cock eyes ... seemed like a good idea.

Looking at the pictures, however, the "tab" doesn't look solid.  It appears to be a loop, perhaps more for holding the eye in place than for tying it in.   But I don't believe that now.  If you read the description, it doesn't mention tying them in ... only that they have a "edge" to help hold in UV resin.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 FIN-ITE 34

FIN-ITE 34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:33 AM

"The Pro 3D tabbed eyes are the latest innovative product, that takes benefit from the latest cutting edge 3D printing technology to create an ultra lightweight and strong solution when tying baitfish or squid imitations. Use it alone or as a mould if you are looking for a UV resin head. The edges on the tapped eyes serves as stopper walls preventing the resin to run off the eye, making it a breeze to tie uniform flies. The size range spans from the smallest 5mm size for small trout streamers, to 10mm for winter steelhead flies, to the monster 16mm size for the biggest pike, musky, billfish flies. Tabbed Eyes are super easy to tie with. The back of each eye is sticky so it naturally wants to stay in place while you are tying. Just stick the eye to the fly and wrap down the tab with your tying thread."

#4 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:37 AM

From that description, the tab is to keep the resin over the eye, to make a dome of resin over it. Not to tie it in. However, I have seen some that tie in and you then glue/resin/epoxy them in place. I haven't any idea what they are called though. A google search may yield results.
<p>"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous"

Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"

Tenkara is only for little fish!                                                                     </p>

#5 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:12 PM

It seems to me that flats had the right idea, or at least what company is saying, not sure how long they would last though. Flats get your self some uv goo and a light, it's worth the cost bass pro has decent light for 17 bucks, I've just used the loon and bugg bond brands goo, so far I like the loon better just because it's not as stinky.

#6 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,364 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:05 PM

buy a package, tie up some of your famous flies and let us know the results

experiment

The fish care less than we do!

#7 FlatsRoamer

FlatsRoamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:07 PM

Norm, i never knew my flies were so famous, maybe I should have my own tv show huh?

I asked the guy who i saw them from, he says he ties them in then glues or uv's the eye into place. He says its "bulletproof", I might have to give this a try and it has pretty good prices...

I am just tired of having my fingers covered with glue after putting on some eyes. I only know of 1 thing where you can actually x rap in the eyes, and its the ep gamechange eyes. But, at 6$ for 10 eyes I'll find something else lol

GOOD LUCK TYIN

Lol I had to copy that

Still hunting for my first tarpon on fly! 

Why are windknots in love with me?

Can't wait for that diy trip to Acklins!!

Find my youtube channel in the link below

https://www.youtube....plkVnmuDObYCLBg

#8 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,364 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:45 PM

gee whiz think tweezers

tweezers.jpg

The fish care less than we do!