Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Flies for someone new to Articulation

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Brodrash

Brodrash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:56 PM

Okay here's the deal, I picked up some hitch and trailer hooks in size 10 and want to start tying a few articulated streamers for trout and bass, but I don't know where to start. I know size 10 is a bit on the smaller side but i'll have to throw these with a 5 wt.

I was thinking buggers and zonkers are probably a good simple start. However, if anyone has other recommendations please chime in. Other miscellaneous advice is also welcome.

Thanks!

#2 ihang10

ihang10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 04:11 PM

Be mindful of tying materials that will foul the hook.

For a 5wt I think small zonkers or some bugger patterns are probably spot on.

#10 3xl hooks will get you an admirable fly on that rod.

#3 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:48 PM

A woolly bugger might be the easiest and lightest to the two to tie.   Try tying it using just one hackle.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#4 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:20 PM

I think you could throw up to a size 6 pretty well I don't know what your red is but I can easily throw most size 6 Flys 65-70 with my 10 ft 4 wt. A woolly bugger style would easiest to tie.

#5 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:26 PM

Not sure what your after but last summer I did some, articulated Flys that were basically an ep type bait fish on the hook/back section and a spun deer hair hair head on the shank trimmed into a diver the bass liked it and it was a pretty big profile but easy to throw with a light rod.

#6 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,751 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:06 PM

Game Changer!  I don't tie them, but they look fairly easy for a starter ... as you're tying basically the same thing on each section.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#7 notenuftoys

notenuftoys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:24 PM

I've been binging on articulated flies lately, learning about the finer points of design, styles and fishing techniques. 

For a great Youtube channel with a bunch of meaty articulated streamers, take a gander at some of these videos:  https://www.youtube....heozarks/videos

The Flymen Fishing Company also had a great blog post on different styles:  https://flymenfishin...ply-get-er-done

#8 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:30 PM

I would add Gunnar Brammer's YouTube channel to the list of meaty streamer videos.
Bimini15

#9 Joshpilon08

Joshpilon08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:02 PM

My first articulated fly I tried was the game changer. Turned out ok...ish. haha could definitely use some practice lol

#10 josephcsylvia

josephcsylvia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:57 PM

If you fish for trout an easy one to start with is a articulated pheasant tail nymph. If your looking for larger streamers check out kelly Galloup

#11 flyguy613

flyguy613

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:40 PM

For most articulated streamers the smallest hook you might be using for the back is a size 6. Personally I use #2 and #1 more than anything else, followed by #4 and 1/0. Im usually tying 4-6" bugs for trout

#12 cphubert

cphubert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:27 PM

My smallest rear hooks are usually 6's attached with braid (green spider wire) with beads between the hooks to prevent rear hook fouling. you can tie your favorite  streamer patterns dressing the rear hook to match or use your imagination, lots of fun. They make great trolling flies, lots of action and you get better hookups with the shorter hooks vs the 9x- 10x long Carrie Stevens hooks. have fun with it