Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DryStrike

Fill the box - suggestions

I'm filling a warm water fly box for some of the local ponds. Currently I have Poppers, Muddlers, Woolly Buggers and Clouser Minnows. I'm looking for a little variety. What else would you all suggest having in your box?

I have some beetles, and small nymph with rubber legs that the blue gill can't get enough of but thought I'd try to target some of the bigger guys.

Looks like you're doing pretty well on selections. Where we live [iA] moss is a real problem, so we usually don't go much for weighted flies. Our buggers are unweighted. The Seaducer [hackle fly] is a good producer and suspends well...we like white and yellow with a red face. I make alot of poppers...the TCS works better than pencil most of the time. I believe deerhair poppers/sliders are even better. Good luck to you...your on a fum mission. Cheers, Ed

You might make some size 4 or 6 marabou streamers... in solid colors (white, chartreuse, black, purple, etc.)

Also some hoppers.

Foam bodied poppers

Trout flies like Brassies

Worms

terrestrials like ants

Streamers and panfish attractors

Great suggestions everyone. I'm making my shopping list and headed to the craft store for some foam. I'm looking forward to tying those almost as much as I am to fishing them. Can't wait to see the stealth bomber in action.

I went out this am and tied on this bead chain nymph in florescent yellow w/ black rubber legs.

Bass just can't let it be. I've caught bass and gill in all sizes. It's one of my go to patterns these days.

Thanks, EsseQ, That tokyo spider is going in my "to try" box. Ought to work like a champ,

Kirk B.

Edit: I *really* should proofread before I hit the "Submit" button.sad.png blink.png blink.png

Edited by crazy4oldcars

Kirk,

You are more than welcome. Couple of years ago I had a good friend out for Smallies. I was having a great day catching, unfortunately he was not. I could feel the front of the boat getting heavier every time I caught another fish. Funniest part is that we had the same fly on. We came across a submerged log, I tyed on a Tokyo Spider. I told him to cast on top of the log, it was about 2 inches under water. For a split second It looked like God had removed a bucket worth of water. It was a fat 3 1/2 pounder. I do not believe it has been taken off his fly rod yet.

Good luck,

Michael