Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Two days of fishing on some awesome pike water

A buddy and I spent two days on some awesome pike water near Fairbanks.

GOPR7241-1-X2.jpg

Mike with a 37 inch pike caught on spinning gear.

20190710-101542-X2.jpg

The fish were hitting everything. Several times we had two fish on at a time.

GOPR7244-X2.jpg

Mike used all spinning gear and I used mostly fly tackle.

20190710-100605-X2.jpg

In the two days we caught about 95 fish. 70 of them were over 24 inches and about 30 of them were 37 inches long or longer.

20190710-100637-X2.jpg

I'm the photographer so you won't see much of me. Here's Mike with a 38 inch fish.

20190710-100557-X2.jpg

This one's 40 inches long.

20190710-095503-X2.jpg

This is my biggest fly caught fish of the trip, a 37 1/2 incher.

20190708-181337-X2.jpg

and here's the biggest fish of the trip, a 43 1/2 inch hog. It weighed 20 pounds.

20190708-181417-X2.jpg

We let them all go unharmed except one we kept for eating. It was a great trip, and close to home. We're already planning another one.

Nice ones Mark, some real brutes there. You guys chase them with flies much at all up there? I really got into pike on the fly pretty heavy about 3-4 yrs ago. Nothing as exciting as having a big one slam your offering right at the rod tip! :)

Nice ones Mark, some real brutes there. You guys chase them with flies much at all up there? I really got into pike on the fly pretty heavy about 3-4 yrs ago. Nothing as exciting as having a big one slam your offering right at the rod tip! smile.png

I do it almost exclusively with flies, but I don't run into too many others that do it. We don't have many fish up here that pack the excitement into a fight like a big pike.

Yes, it was a blast, this time I only brought 5 and 6 wt's so I was limited to the size fly I could throw. Next time I'll bring the 8's and tens.

Nice!

Mark what size hooks for the flies you are throwing?

I'm pretty sure they were 1/0 and 2/0 but I will check to make sure, I tied them so long ago. My 5 and 6 wt's were having trouble throwing them.