Fly Tying

I am posting this on fly tyers forum because I feel people who tie their own flies know the best when it comes to fly fishing. I am confused right now with emerger flys nymphs spinners dry flys and spent flys egg laying flys i dont know when or why to use them. I know eggs are laid and turn into nymphs and nymphs emerge into dry flys and then spinners then spent flys but why would you fish a dry fly vs an emerger because its not like every nymph emerges into fly at the exact same time... There will still be nymphs and emerges at the same time as flys that hatched earlier are spent and dying how long do these flys live. When do you fish each type and what triggers fly hatches how do you choose what type of fly to use during its hatch? I am not a newbie just need this cleared up? And like all winter midges are hatching??? I just don't get it.

As far as to fishing them it becomes knowing life cycles of insects that reside where you fish. There should be hatch charts for your area. Here in Michigan we have a fanastic May fly ( Hendrickson) hatch. Most bugs become reactant to two things , the time of year and water temperature For us , in northern Mi, our first big hatch are the Hendricksons, so when fishing during this time , April, With no top water activity I start out with Nymphs, Hopefully water warms up to and u see some bugs popping, and that's when a dry fly is put on, but if they refuse the dry, or I'm getting "short strikes", I try an emerger. This mayfly, lives a short life, pops off the water, fly's up into trees, bushes, porch screens until its time to mate, with Henny's early evening to into the night, we watch for them to drop down to lay eggs, we fish the spinner.

Any way, there are plenty of sites and videos available, for me , searching the net is half the fun, reading good books are also an option.

So, find out where u plan on fishing, and for what your fishing for, an google it

Rise forms will tell you much of what the trout is eating, you can search 'rise forms of trout' but here's an article that talks about it.

https://activeanglingnz.com/2015/09/30/analysing-trout-rise-forms-a-lost-skill/

It has been said that the important part of fishing does not require a rod and reel; before you cast even once it is beneficial to observe the water for currents and flows and to try to determine both where the fish lie and what they are eating at the time you are there. For an obvious example a fish rooting on the bottom with it's snout will not take a fly on or near the surface because it is eating worms or snails at that time- so a heavy nymph drifted at the bottom might entice the fish. Once the fishing is complete and you think you have found the fish and figured out his appetite it is time for the casting. .

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=87635&page=3&do=findComment&comment=730921

https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/53-general/40991-rise-form-trout.html