Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Capt Bob LeMay

Biscayne nights -Everglades days, 4 May

Been quite a while since I posted a fishing report... here's the fly fishing portion of my latest.... I'm still alternating between the 'Glades out of Flamingo during day trips and the urban areas of Biscayne Bay at night...

For anyone wanting the rest of the report it's here....http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?190364-Biscayne-nights-Everglades-days-4-May

Now for the flyfishing side... this is a great time of year for fly anglers -we're catching a bit of everything on fly, but the main target has been tarpon of every size. This first picture shows perfect form for pulling hard on a big tarpon that's taking most of your line....
Pauls%20tarp_zpsh5kp7fge.jpg
"Down and dirty" is the only way to go with a big fish on fly....
From great big tarpon on fly all the way down to small goliath grouper on the same fly pattern (and everything in between) -that was the way it went this past month... This little grouper ate a six inch Tarpon Snake fly that was presented perfectly to an 80lb fish along a river bank. We watched as the fly sank down to the tarpon -then this little guy beat the tarpon to it....
goliath%20on%20fly_zpsswunpftz.jpg
A few weeks later in a river full of tarpon that just ignored our flies Lee Brennan from Alabama cast to a black drum along a shallow river bank to take this 15lb fish - as usual on a 6-7" black fly meant for a tarpon...
Brennan%20black%20drum%20on%20fly_zps0mx
Earlier that day Lee hooked and fought his first big tarpon on fly up another river and came within about 20" of having the leader in the rod tip.... Minutes later that same fish ran up a small, closed creek with so many downed trees in it that we couldn't follow. The entire fly line as well as a few feet of backing were up there when the fish finally came free. You can imagine how surprised we were when we got everything back -including the fly... Here's a pic of Lee holding on with his first tarpon (brand new rod and reel as well....).
Brennan%20on%20tarpon_zpsvkeuqmwz.jpg
Our last night trip was this past Thursday where a first timer from England got taken to school by fish that ranged from 20 to 50lbs. John Turner jumped seven fish that night and they did all the releasing. I think he'll be back... This month we've broken one rod (a TFO BVK 10wt on a tarpon at the boat) and lost my fourth fly line (a brand new Rio intermediate 12wt) up a nameless river -with a really big tarpon on the other end...
Now for the bad news, water temps at Flamingo dropped ten degrees in five days as we found out on Saturday -and we were fishing in high winds.... It will take a few days before the tarpon come back but we saw only one in two days of looking for them this weekend... Earl Zagrodnik from Utah made the best of it, though with a 29" snook on fly....
ZagrodnikEarl%20snook_zps5ps6f8jh.jpg
**be a hero.... take a kid fishing**

Great report as always! Thank you for taking the time to write them.

Another great report. Just enough to keep us land lubbers wanting more.