Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Rust proof fly boxes

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I see everything!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,495 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 04:28 PM

just seen these and they look a bit intersting anyone try one yet? they may be to new for anyone to have used them yet dunno.gif

http://www.orvis.com...0&feature_id=17
Posted Image
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#2 ridderbos3

ridderbos3

"Sorry boss I seem to have anal glaucoma. I just cant see my ass going to work today"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 05:38 PM

I think they are the biggest crock of [email protected] I have ever seen. Figures orvis would market that. I use zerust tabs at work , have for years. IF they are not sealed in a plastic air tight bag , they go bad. Chances are that the zerust in those boxes will have worn out before they ever even leave the orvis stores.

#3 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I see everything!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,495 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 05:45 PM

So would that be a vote for "no" John laugh.gif

Thats something I was wondering was how long they would last, guess that answers that question wink.gif
Posted Image
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#4 artimus

artimus

What? a fly swap?..... I'M IN!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 05:49 PM

sd,

I can get VCI packets from work. Sprinkle some in your box and you are protected. Let me know if you want a couple to try it.

Art
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.
----- Unknown -----

#5 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I see everything!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,495 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:12 PM

What is VCI Art i'm not familiar with that. Is it something that would stay in the box like a powder?

Reason I was looking at these boxes is I'm very bad to put my flies away before they are completly dry and they seem to get some rust on the hooks. I know its my fault but its a bad habit I have.
Posted Image
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#6 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:58 PM

When has a car manufacturer ever made a car to not rust?, This sounds like it will be taken off the market as it will be just as harmfull as lead. laugh.gif
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#7 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I see everything!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,495 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 07:04 PM

Well, all metal cars will rust at some point but their are companys such as Zebart that use rust inhibitors to prevent rust from forming for an extended amount of time.
Posted Image
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#8 Live2Fish

Live2Fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 07:05 PM

I use to have a rust problem until I started using the fly trap (2nd link) and metal boxes (1st link). Haven't had a problem since.

http://www.cabelas.c...0431&hasJS=true

http://www.cabelas.c...MainCatcat20431
Fishing is at once the ultimate quest, the ultimate joy, the ultimate frustration. And anglers wouldn’t have it any other way.

#9 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I see everything!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,495 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 07:09 PM

Hmmm that "fly trap" looks interesting cool.gif
Posted Image
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#10 artimus

artimus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 11:16 PM

Vapour Corrossion Inhibitor. It basically is a powder that evaporates and bonds to the metal. I think that in this case it would be more of a case of treating the hook before it gets wet.

Art
----- Unknown -----

#11 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE (steeldrifter @ Feb 25 2005, 08:04 PM)
Well, all metal cars will rust at some point but their are companys such as Zebart that use rust inhibitors to prevent rust from forming for an extended amount of time.

Yes but as we all know cars are a replacement game, and I'm sure manufactures build them that way. As far as rust profing your flies dry them out when you get home. I sometimes neglet them myself and then I will wash them in the sink or basin then let them dry.

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#12 artimus

artimus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 08:50 AM

Another trick that I've seen similar to the fly trap is to use a film cannister with vent holes and a lanyard. Pop all your used flies in it, and they can dry out some before you get back home, or you place them back into your box.

Art
----- Unknown -----

#13 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 11:32 AM

Gret idea Art, gotta like it!

#14 Mr. Trout

Mr. Trout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 04:50 PM

This is where I love my William Joseph chest pack. It has a large fly patch inside the front pocket. I store all my used flies here where they can dry and closing the zippers on the pocket stops me from losing my flies while they dry, as opposed to a conventional fly patch on your vest or otherwise. Most times they are all dry before I even get home, and if not the patch is attached by velcro and I can just take it out and hang it up somewhere.

#15 Mr. Trout

Mr. Trout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 04:53 PM

This is where I love my William Joseph chest pack. It has a large fly patch inside the front pocket. I store all my used flies here where they can dry and closing the zippers on the pocket stops me from losing my flies while they dry, as opposed to a conventional fly patch on your vest or otherwise. Most times they are all dry before I even get home, and if not the patch is attached by velcro and I can just take it out and hang it up somewhere.