Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryon Anderson

Any other Michiganders doing the Trout Opener this weekend?

I'm going to be floating the Manistee, probably somewhere between M-72 and 3-Mile tomorrow and (hopefully) Sunday as well. Will post pics in the trip report section if we catch anything photo-worthy.

The weather isn't going to be too balmy, but that's okay -- should be decent streamer fishing, and it might even help keep the usual opening-weekend crowds somewhat at bay... :)

Had planned to hit the Au Sable for steelhead but flow is about 2ft over normal so I'm pretty sure that's gonna be scrubbed. Been trying to re-plan the trip to a different day but fishing buddy is being a real pain in the ass this year. I swear if I ever find a good fishing buddy that actually tries to make trips somewhat as important as other things then I'd probably have a damn heart attack.

That's a big part of the reason why I do probably 90% of my fishing solo these days...even when you do manage to find someone whose company you enjoy, it's so hard to sync up both schedules and priorities. For years I had one fishing buddy that I was pretty compatible with, but even he would do things like invite me to his house on Lake Isabella to fish, then, after I made the two-hour drive, I'd walk in to find him watching the weather channel and know I was screwed. (He was the ultimate fair-weather fisherman--wouldn't go outside unless it was clear and sunny.) Fortunately, I enjoy my own company and prefer to run on my own schedule (aka my whims) most of the time, but it is nice to have a buddy or two along and make a day of it for special occasions--the opener, the Hex hatch, etc.

The guy I'm fishing with this weekend I met completely by chance. I was sitting in the waiting area of a shop that was putting a trailer hitch on my Jeep, and he was doing the same. I had a Simms hat on and, after a few minutes of polite silence, he says, "Say, are you a fly fisherman?" Of course that gets the talk flowing. Turns out he just bought himself a brand new Adipose skiff as a retirement gift and he's "looking to get more serious about fly fishing." :) We swap phone numbers, and next thing I know we're floating the Manistee and Au Sable every chance we get. Terrific guy, gets me involved in a TU Fly Fishing School where I'm now an instructor, lets me stay at his place up north even when he's not there...you just never know when something is going to work out.

Mike, I haven't heard anyone say "purt' near" since I lived in Missourah! Living up north, you can almost forget how to talk right. :-D

Ben, when I first moved to Michigan, I could barely understand people because of how rapid-fire their speech seemed to me. Meanwhile, they were all rolling their eyes waiting for me to "drawl" (or so they said) my way through a sentence. Now my family back in Missouri thinks I sound like a Northerner, and their speech seems really slow to me and has a "twang" that I never really noticed when I lived there. It's all relative, I guess. :)

I know I'm kind of hijacking my own thread here -- I hope that's allowed. :)

I don't know why my buddy is being such a pain this year. he comes over ever week for coffee and to watch a fishing show all winter and talks about us doing trips and fishing plans and such. Now the trip this weekend the flow is running 3200cfs (should be 2000cfs) so that's too high to fish so I have given him all sorts of dates to move the trip too and its nothing but "that date wont work, can't do that day, busy this date" just bullshit after bullshit. I totally get responsibilities we all have those, but you have to at least try to make time for the things you enjoy. Not a single person died wishing they had worked more hours in their life.

Ben, when I first moved to Michigan, I could barely understand people because of how rapid-fire their speech seemed to me. Meanwhile, they were all rolling their eyes waiting for me to "drawl" (or so they said) my way through a sentence. Now my family back in Missouri thinks I sound like a Northerner, and their speech seems really slow to me and has a "twang" that I never really noticed when I lived there. It's all relative, I guess.

Bryon my family is mostly from Georgia, but most of them have lived in Michigan for about 30+ years. Try listening to people talking fast PLUS with a Southern Accent and that is my family reunions lol

Not a single person died wishing they had worked more hours in their life.

Isn't that the truth... I forget who first said it, but I've always tried to live by the saying "The best time to go fishing is when you can."

Ben, when I first moved to Michigan, I could barely understand people because of how rapid-fire their speech seemed to me. Meanwhile, they were all rolling their eyes waiting for me to "drawl" (or so they said) my way through a sentence. Now my family back in Missouri thinks I sound like a Northerner, and their speech seems really slow to me and has a "twang" that I never really noticed when I lived there. It's all relative, I guess.

Bryon my family is mostly from Georgia, but most of them have lived in Michigan for about 30+ years. Try listening to people talking fast PLUS with a Southern Accent and that is my family reunions lol

Steve, I can identify. My first real job was in Washington, D.C., where I spent most of the day on the phone, talking mostly to people with southern accents. It didn't take long for me to unconsciously pick up a drawl. The folks back home busted my chops about it, while the guys at work still hammered me about my "Hahvahd" accent. It was kinda like living in no-man's-land. Being something of a nomad and constitutionally incapable of keeping my mouth shut, I've probably heard "you sure don't come from around here" from enough people to fill up Yankee Stadium. There's just no place left to blend in any more.