Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

Steelhead flies that are original Scots?

Any one offer any info on a couple of patterns. Gardener and Tartan? Originals by Mr. Garden and Mr. Brown I'm led to believe for the river Dee Scotland. They use squirrel tail tied split each side for wing like traditional feathers but hairwing.

I saw the Tartan pattern in book by Chris Mann,called "Hackle Flies for Salmon and Steelhead".It is a Dee River fly.Go to Google and enter the book name or pattern name and it shall appear.

cheers Bigwater, I have the dressing but was wondering how folk create the level thread to lie the squirrel each side without making a huge head.

Shoebop, thanks but that seems to be a fella trying to cash in on clan tartans. The tartan fly I refer to is actually a single fly. I'll keep trying to tie a good one and post a pic when I get the split hair wing down.

Was having a think about this as not too sure i have ever seen a dee wing constructed with squirrel! I am not sure how you would do it, large heads, possible non desired action, perhaps too short? Would be a load easier doing a feather mount, plus you know those dee wings will vibrate perfectly if done correctly. Anyway if u find any examples let us know.

possibly why the idea died off. Again the patterns are in C.Manns book hairwings and tubes but no instruction just the recipe.