Fly Tying
Slacker

Taking Pictures of Flies

First of all ..... this is a great idea for a forum and I was very happy to see it included. Great Job! :headbang:

Just started tying not long ago and I am looking for some help on how to take good pictures of my finished flies. Hopefully others reading this thread will benefit from this as well as I have picked up so many useful tips and tricks reading threads on flytyingforum.com!

I just read on this forum the other day that if you press or select the tupil or flower function on your digital camera that helps you take pictures of close up objects. Forgot about that since I had read the manual when I bought the camera!

Many of my pictures turn out blurry and it drives me nuts! :dunno: :wallbash:

So a couple of things that I am looking for guidance in are:

1. Should I be using lighting to improve the pictures? Flash? If so are there any tips anyone can offer?

2. How close should I be to the fly? With the tulip function I know you do not need to be too too far.

3. Are there any setting on the camera I should be paying particular attention to?

4. Any websites that discuss techniques on how to take pictures of flies?

I know this is a pretty large and complicated question. But if anyone could offer one or two tips it would greatly be appreciated. Hopefully it will answer questions for others and offer tips and tricks to other members who snap picts of their flies!

Thanks

Here are a few tips that I learned from an article by A.K.Best about taking pictures of flies. It was in Fly Tyer winter 2003. If you can, read this article.

Some of the main things I learned from this article are to make sure you have the camera level with the hook shank. Make sure you have the whole fly in the viewer. From head to tail. Use a back drop behind your fly, black or light blue. Something non reflective, like a sheet of foam or matting you can get from a framing shop. Have the back drop about 12 inches behind the fly.

Use lights, A.K.Best recommends 4 or 5 lights, I use 3. 2 clip on lights from staples and a fluorescent light. The lights should be about 12 inches from the fly, one overhead one in front and pointed at the head. I use the fluorescent in front of the fly and just above the camera. The lights I mentioned from staples are only 60 watt, nothing special.

Tripod, I think this is a must as it will eliminate any movement. My camera takes a moment to focus so when I depress the shutter the camera is hands free. (I am still learning but my fly photos have improved a lot from this article I mentioned and by practice). The tripod I use is only a small one, with adjustable legs, (about 8 inches in length)

Take several shots, and adjust the light selection on your camera. I find real bright flies shine to much for a normal setting and must be reduced.

Use the macro setting, try the timer if your camera has one, do not use the flash. The flash will cause shadows behind and on the fly. My camera is 5.0 mega pixels but I understand 3.0 is fine.

I have found taking photos is like tying. Practice. If you can, read the article I mentioned as it covers way more than what I have tried to explain.

Joe,

I read A.K.'s piece with interest.

I like and respect A.K. very much, and he gets fine results with his setup. I take issue with the Fly Tyer editor, though, for publishing the piece because frankly in this day and age to get folks started photographing flies using analog film, and rather expensive tungsten lamps, is in my eyes not doing any of the readers a service.

The results possible these days with very modestly priced digital cameras, regular (very inexpensive) desk lamps and a suitable color paper background are much superior to what even pro photographers with high end, high price equipment would manage as little as five years ago.

Control over true representation of colors, the absence of scratches and dust... no way I would even begin to contemplate returning to regular film!

Cheers,

Hans W

I would not even begin to think about using A.K. Best set up, and did not really understand a lot of what he mentioned, about film and lights. Before joining this site the only camera I ever used was a disposable. Once I read the article, I was able to improve a great deal with the pictures of flies that I take.

I took the information that I could from it and used it to my benefit. I think that the information in that article could help anyone as it did me. I use an Olympus 5.0 mega pixel, 2 cheap 60 watt lights, and a fluorescent, that is on my tying magnifier lamp, with a peice of sheet foam as a back drop. Nothing special but I am hapy with the way most of the fly photos I take come out.

Hey Will, that was an interesting thread, thanks for pointing that out. I have much more experience with photoshop than I have with photography and every piece of photgraphic advice I can get is appreciated.

Thanks for the responses!

I am going to try to take some pictures of flies this evening and experiment a little bit.

If only the fish knew how much time I spend trying to trick them into taking my flies........

Thanks again for all the advice.

I took some time the other night to sit down and work on my photography skill. The pictures turned out 100% better. Thanks!

I'd post the pics but I am still worling on my tying skills! :blink: