Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mudskimmer

Chesapeake reds

I managed to get out again after a hiatus with a buddy of mine looking for some reds or trout using some of the flies tied up this past winter. Despite what I consider a gallant effort I came up empty with the long rod. Tried crabs, mullet, bend backs but they would have none of it. We even encountered some tails mudding in super shallow water at low tide but being rookies at poling I think we spooked most of them. Then after several hours, I picked up the only conventional rod I brought along that day with a spinnerbait and proved that they were indeed present. My buddy got one at the same time. Called it a day and headed home. Beautiful day on the water but boy was it hot. Maybe next time I'll get one on the fly.

IMG_57736_zps2bad7c62.jpg

They're fun on any tackle! What area of the bay were you in? General area, don't need to get too specific! After my trip to VA's eastern shore chasing them last Sept. I had thoughts that I might find them in some areas closer to home that I've fished in the past. I've not had the chance to confirm that yet however! I know they've been caught well up into the Honga River.

They're fun on any tackle! What area of the bay were you in? General area, don't need to get too specific! After my trip to VA's eastern shore chasing them last Sept. I had thoughts that I might find them in some areas closer to home that I've fished in the past. I've not had the chance to confirm that yet however! I know they've been caught well up into the Honga River.

I'll second that. I have to say, you and PJ's outing last year inspired me to give the fly fishing a try for them. Last year I caught some smaller ones in the lower Potomac (although the slot size reds were around last year too) but my spies that live down there haven't seen them yet. So I drove down to the Gwynn's Island area (about the same distance for me as the Honga (3 hours away). I was really hoping for trout too but their tough to come by this year. I am hoping they do move a bit farther up the bay.

Well, the upper reaches of the Honga is only about an hour's drive from me. I know several places in that general area that I would like to check out someday! My trip to PJ's was a blast, and I would gladly do it again, but an hour's drive is far better than the 3 hours down to PJ's house! wink.png

Ya know, I was just sitting here, minding my own business, watching the bluebirds take their morning baths, when I felt my ears burning. (glad to see my name mentioned without the usual insults) John - looks like you guys had a great time on the water. You're not kidding it's hot out there. Even the greenheads are staying out of the sun. I planned to take my first walk on the flats yesterday, but it was close to 95 degrees without a hint of a breeze - I think I'll wait a bit for a late afternoon tide. Haven't seen any reds yet, but I know they're around the mouth of our nameless river - if you guys are seeing them, they're most likely out there on our flats as well. Water temps have hit the 80s, and all the summer fish have made their appearance. (still no reliable word yet on the giant herring though)

Jim - I've been checking the flats behind our house and they look pretty good - my lawn guy said he had some 20-fish days out there last year. Guess if the 8-minute drive to the river gets too tiresome, I can just walk across the field and save the wear & tear on the car. Life is good out here on the Shore.

PJ, Sounds like you have a mighty nice setup there. I think the big herring are still down in the Keys. I was reading on another forum where they are still pretty thick down there. But I know they can appear out of nowhere if the ocean temps come up a bit.

Tidewater, I could probably get to the upper Honga in a little over 2 hours. The 3 hour estimate was for the end of the road at Hoopersville. When I had a bigger boat with my father we would just launch on the western shore and motor over to the Honga. Its a beautiful area.