Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
salmobytes

Anybody know this pattern's name?

This is an old f ly probably never fished judging by the neatly married wings, even though there is some rust on the hook. Fly boxes sometimes get wet.

This came from a fly box that hasn't been opened since the early 1990s. It's a handsome fly but I'm not good at classic flies (if indeed this is a classic). I don't know it's name but would like to. Maybe (maybe) it's a Black Gnat, even though it's tied on a size #14 hook.

Does anybody know this fly's name?

up-2019-06-24-16.01.19ZSDMap_Black-beaut

Got it. OK. I remember my cousin Jon caught a huge rainbow on a #10 mosquito once, which I thought was absurd. Until years later I realized names are meaningless.

And just to be nit-picking those are not married wings. Married wings are those from two different color feathers "married" and tied in as one. Those are simply a well tied upright wings from a single pair of feathers.

Al first ran across this fly in the late '70s in a Poul Jorgensen book (we think?, fading memory). It was originally tied as a quill-wing wet fly then eventually the wings were "reset" to redesign it into a dry fly. Usually the wings are tied out of duck quill (sometime goose) slips but that materials is far enough out-of-vogue that getting matched pairs is not as easy as it used to be. The same fly with blue-dun hackle point wings or Wonder Wings is equally effective and the wings are more durable than the quill slip version. Take care & ...