Fly Tying
kimjensen

Best mono thread.

Hi.

I have some Uni mono in a 0.08 or something, but i think it's tricky to Work with. Have you Guys experienced any difference in products that were easier than others to Work with? It's kind of stiff too.

I get mine at Walmart because it's dirt cheap, about $7.50 for 1000 yards. It's in the sewing/ fabric department. Don't know if it's the best. It's the only one I've tried. It works.

^ditto^

.080 thousandths?

Mono-Thread, Fine .004"

Mono-Thread, Med .007"

Mono-Thread, Large 010"

Its 0.08mm in EU and UK. I use 0.14 or 0.16 in just any cheap brand I have lying about. I prefer a stretchy mono over the non stretch ones.

I use Uni fine (4mm), it works great and is fairly cheap. I'm sure the Walmart stuff is much cheaper but since I don't tie commercially or exclusively with mono, I don't need 1,000 yards of it. I get a lot of flies out of the 200 yard spool and when it runs out, I'll just drop the $2 for another spool. Actually, last time Stockard's had a thread sale I stocked up on a few spools when they were something like a $1.60 or so.

Oh boy... I must belong to the caveman era... My mono thread is usually just 4lb mono that's no longer worth using on a small spinning reel... I've tied with 2, 4, and six pound mono over the years. Here's a pic of one of my all-time favorite bonefish bugs on a #4 hook, called a Clear Charlie. You can easily see that it's done up with a bit larger thread than Coates....

By the way this particular bug is used for really big bones, from nine pounds all the way up to as big as they get....

post-30940-0-37661900-1403036503_thumb.jpg

I've still got some mono thread I purchased from Danville several years ago & have some I got at a local JoAnn's Fabric shop. Can't see any difference between them as far as tying use is concerned.

Capt Bob, I've used regular mono line too, so you're not alone! laugh.png

Guess what.... The 0.08 is the thick version. No wonder I was having problems getting a nice finish.

I feel better if I buy the spooled fly tying mono instead of buying some random bulk spool. It doesn't cost that much at least to me. :-)

50 yards vs 200 yards? Seems like UTC is a bit well, not generous :-)

I'm with Capt. Bob, I use old 2 and 4 pound fishing line. Bought a 500 yard spool of 4# from Bass Pro, and just spool it onto my bobbins when I use it up.

Years ago Coates & Clark had clear & smoke colored mono that could be purchased at a Singer Sewing center. Seems when Richards Saltwater Naturals or Prey was published that was the only mono thread available other than 2 or 4lb test. Now the Coates & Clark is hard to find while Danvilles & Monofil at twice the price + are in most fly shops.

Dave, I think the mono thread sold by Walmart might be Coats & Clark - I've got both the clear and dark stuff, and it works great for tying purposes. My spools don't have the labels still on, but the other thread I've bought there is all C&C.

I have a spool of the mono thread but I doubt that I have used it over half a dozen times. Guess I am gonna have to get with the program........

Dave, I think the mono thread sold by Walmart might be Coats & Clark - I've got both the clear and dark stuff, and it works great for tying purposes. My spools don't have the labels still on, but the other thread I've bought there is all C&C.

I've looked in the fabric section of the local Wal-Mart many years ago & didn't find any Coates & Clark mono like what was available 20 years ago. Might browse thru again on a grocery shopping day to see if they changed suppliers & stock it now some 10 years later. Thanks.

I use either a clear mono thread or clear polyester thread that I picked up at Michael's. I've got a spool of smoke colored mono that I also picked up at Michael's but I seldom use it. Both spools fit in my bobbin, so I don't really need to go back to the Danville mono. If I were doing a clear mono body, like Capt Bob's bonefish fly, I'd rummage through my spools of mono or fluorocarbon. I think I have 2 LB to 125 LB covered.