Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

10' 7wt steelhead rod

Nice clean build for a customer out of the shop this morning. This one is a 10' 7wt 4pc for steelhead. Smokey burl cork grip & butt with some accents in it, dark green main wraps with metallic silver trim and burl wood reel seat round it out.

yVTelc.jpg
mw6VLA.jpg
xjm30K.jpg
fyWuU2.jpg

Approval of 2 rods without blue in a row! I wonder if there are any members who could check on Mikechell in person and make sure he's ok.

Ah ... now I see. rolleyes.gif You read "approval" in that line, but it could've been the opposite. dry.png You, sir, are a "pot-stirrer" !!! laugh.png

I saw Mike Ice fishing on Lake Harney just last week.

Seriously Steve these are two great looking rods. In years past, I have built rods as part of my tackle service shop, but yours are superbe. I started building rods in the 60s, and you know what that means psychedelic rainbow wraps.

Built a lot of rods early on with a 5 color rainbow thread from Herters. Recently I took out my 29 year old Sage, and notice that the finish was cracking off some of the guides. Dug into my old stock of thread and found two spools that I still had. Did a complete re-wrap in a throwback to those early days. Wouldn't say is up there with your work, but what the hell, now I am an amature.

Before: post-12074-0-46143000-1550809054_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-12059600-1550809148_thumb.jpg

After: post-12074-0-20452400-1550809098_thumb.jpg

Nice rainbows, utyer. That's some trick ... ice fishing on Harney. Well, wait. Since ice fishing, for me, is getting a cube out of a glass ... you might catch me doing that. But I wasn't on Harney last week, I was freezing my patootie off in Chicago.

Now it looks like the weather won't be good for this weekend.

Just to prove this is me ... Is a "snow mobile" one of those things you hang at christmas? The one with the cardboard snow flakes balancing each other in the warm breeze from the open window?

Herters was THE place for fishing, camping and hunting supplies long before there was even a thought of an internet. Catalogs were an inch thick. Until 1970 when I started working in tackle stores, its where I got all my fly tying, and rod building supplies.

Mike, a snow mobile is a cell phone that works in below zero

I saw Mike Ice fishing on Lake Harney just last week.

Seriously Steve these are two great looking rods. In years past, I have built rods as part of my tackle service shop, but yours are superbe. I started building rods in the 60s, and you know what that means psychedelic rainbow wraps.

Built a lot of rods early on with a 5 color rainbow thread from Herters. Recently I took out my 29 year old Sage, and notice that the finish was cracking off some of the guides. Dug into my old stock of thread and found two spools that I still had. Did a complete re-wrap in a throwback to those early days. Wouldn't say is up there with your work, but what the hell, now I am an amature.

Before: attachicon.gif Sage RPLX 1.JPG

attachicon.gif Sage RPLX 2.JPG

After: attachicon.gif RPLX after.JPG

Tough to beat a Graphite III blank, it's worth the time spent to keep it up and running.