Fly Tying
Rake

Hello from SW VA

Far from a newbie to either fly fishing or tying, I felt it was time to join the forum rather than to just read.

Been fishing & tying since the mid eighties, spending those early years traipsing around the hills of Virginny. I began bait fishing (primarily for trout) as a youngster, but after limiting out on a stocker stream the middle of one summer day, decided that I needed a bit more of a challenge... I had my first 4-weight the next day. Tying soon followed.

After wrapping up a project near Blacksburg,VA, I had an opportunity to go west. I sold everything but my skis, a computer, and of course my fly fishing gear and headed off to a small town in central Idaho. This small town just happened to be located about 30 miles east of the most beautiful trout stream I've ever had the pleasure to fish. It's name? Silver Creek.

After spending a year learning its secrets, I was asked by a local outfitter to help out as a guide during some of the busy days. This afforded me with the opportunity to spend time on the water AND get paid to do it.

Unfortunately, 2008 happened and along with my regular job disappearing, the tourism industry too a hit. Now, I'm back in Virginia where I can be found on the S. Holston, the Jackson, the Dan, the Smith, or other beautiful places where trout live. But, even though I only spent 6 years in Idaho, that's where my heart is and it will always be home to me.

Welcome to the active side of the site. Nice history and story ... got any pictures from all that?

We love pictures in here !!!

I don't believe I've ever taken a camera on a fishing day (telephone, either) so there are no fish pics from my travels out west. Still, I did take a picture or two while I lived there

This is from 10 years ago, one February morning from the bridge overlooking Kilpatrick's Pond at the creek... Queen's Crown is in the distance. BTW, it was a bit chilly that morning, a brisk negative 6 IIRC

post-59552-0-09414100-1476734363_thumb.jpg

(I hope this works... I spent about 45 minutes trying to figure out how this site wants pics attached

Here's another... somebody's standing in my Loving Creek honeyhole

post-59552-0-06162400-1476735076_thumb.jpg

A bit of sad news. I was just out there last week and heard that the walk and wade area as well as the private, downstream area of the Double R Ranch hasn't been fishing well for the last year, or so.. That meant I had to spend four days on the Henry's Fork instead... oh well 8^}

Yeah those are some sweet pics dude, they belong on the front page of a magazine!

Would like to see some pics of your flies if you have chance, I love seeing new and old patterns that are tied by the best

And welcome to the forum, I hope you become a "resident" here, there are some characters lol

And welcome to the forum, I hope you become a "resident" here, there are some characters lol

Hmmm, how would you place yourself positionally in that statement, Flats ?

And yes, welcome, Rake ! You've lived in some interesting fishing areas.

Welcome rake. I've spent a lifetime fishing but took up fly fishing much later in life then you. I look forward to absorbing some of your knowledge. I also dont take pictures of fish since I catch them rather routinely and I learned long ago that the ones I did take I never looked at again. I try to add pictures when I can but I pretty much suck at picture taking and they always seem to post upside down or sideways.