Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Sand fleas...

Nice tie. Sand fleas are plentiful where I'm at and everything that swims eat them from time to time.

Cool man, I use craft fur underfur for some wicked bonefish bugs. Nice work on those flies, I am sure pompano are going to crush those things left and right

The next time I need sand fleas... I'm going to simply modify this pattern (my version of Matthews Turneffe crab...) by bringing the legs all the way back to the hook bend... instead of out the side... In the tan color it should very closely mimic not only the size and shape of sandfleas - but also pretty closely mimic their burrowing action as waves recede back down the sand....

spidercrab2.jpg

spidercrabs1.jpg

Probably one of the few occasions when I'd also want to lose the weedguards.... All of the bugs shown were on Mustad 34007 #4 hooks. Each bug has a size small presentation lead eye (from Wapsi) which is pretty big on a #4 hook (Wapsi) and the body material is called furry foam (also from Wapsi...).

The only real drawback to furry foam that I've ever found is that the stuff doesn't keep well the way most materials do.... I learned the hard way not to purchase the stuff in bulk and leave it stored for a few years until needed. A year or two is all I'll keep the stuff before the foam backing will start to deteriorate and fail on you...

I like them! move the little tuft of hackle to the bottom and front of the fly and it goes from a crab to a sand flea.