Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RJD2017

Camera for fly tying?

My two passions are fly tying and building bamboo fly rods. I am a novice with photography, but would like to mainly take pictures to post online. I have done some reading, but most of the articles and posts online were a few years old. Consequently, the recommendations for cameras are outdated. I would prefer to spend less than $200 new, if possible, and open to purchase used/refurbished. It seems a basic point & shoot with macro capabilities would fit my needs. However, what other features (e.g., amount of megapixel) to consider? I would appreciate recommendations pertaining to specific brands/models and features to look for. Thanks.

Ron

For online photos, you only need an inexpensive, point-and-shoot camera. Better cameras are necessary if you're going for framed or magazine (print) quality.

Walmart has several cameras for less than $100 ... and any of them will take good pictures. To post online, you'll likely have to reduce the size of the pictures no matter what megapixel rating you get. So buy the one that has the simplest settings and best online reviews.

If you have a phone that takes pictures use that, and buy some fishing equipment with the money saved.

For your purpose, read reviews and find one that does well in low light conditions.

It makes a difference when you take pics at the bench.

Hi Ron,

It does not have to be an expensive camera and megapixels are not as important if you just want it to post online.A 7 megapixel camera will allow you to print an 8x10 photo in HD but for online your photos will be a lot smaller.

I have an old Canon Powershot SD630 that does a great job.It is 6 megapixels and has a macro mode that will focus as close as 1 inch.It will also allow me to print a good HD photo if i choose.These can be found on Amazon or ebay for $20.00.

If you want to go with a dslr try an older canon or nikon.I use a canon xti and it does a really good job but no macro mode.It is a 10 megapixel camera that can be found for $100 and you could purchase a 50mm 1.8 lens New for $100.The focus is not as close but i can crop the photo and get a really sharp close up image.

I would not know what to recommend if purchasing a new camera.There are several on the market that would do excellent that fit your price range.Look for a camera with at least 5mp if using to post online only and more mp if you plan on printing any photos.It needs to have a macro setting but not all macro are the same.Some cameras with macro have a 1 ft or more minimum focus distance.Look for the closest focus that you can find.Some of these new cameras focus as close as 1/4 inch.That's pretty amazing.Also make sure it has a tripod mount.Most cameras have timers and with a tripod and timer you can snap the photo without holding or pressing the button.This eliminates a lot of camera shake or blur in images.

Hi Ron,

Given that your goal is online posting the best older macro camera is a Nikon Coolpix 995. We've used that camera to shoot several books and magazine articles and still use it from time to time for online pictures. It sells on eBay for much less than $100.00. Here is just one example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Coolpix-995-3-3p-Digital-Camera-INCLUDES-2-BATTERIES-/332387186551?hash=item4d63d1f777:g:NUUAAOSwzilZxApr

Good luck. Take care & ...