Fly Tying
mrbamboo

Getting Started - Again

It has been about 40 years ago I tied flies, still have all the materials hooks and tools.

Looking at working thru R.B. Trout plates, any suggestions on where to find pattern descriptions with materials?

If you've had your hackles from 40 years ago, they're probably inferior to modern necks. Also, thread kind of degrades with age. Fly tying has changed a lot in 40 years.

Looking at working thru R.B. Trout plates

Whoa! Getting back into fly tying by doing that would be truly impressive... I'd love to see pics of that getting done in each month's Flies from the Vise...

Will do, and thanks for the link. Though it is hard to toss 40 year old jungle cock capes.

Just picked up Favorite Flies and Their History by Mary O. Marbury, to help out with the old fly patterns further on in the book.

Why would you need to throw away 40 year old jungle cock. Just wondering. Legal jungle cock is sold today.

I would not and I am still using some hackle from 40 years ago. Genetic hackle is wonderful for tiny dry flies, but those flies Mrbamboo wants to copy were all tied with the feathers available at the time and I doubt that they will all look right if done with dry fly hackle.

The advise of looking at and comparing what he has with modern hackle would be good. Then again I am still using some threads from 40 years ago too. If the feathers or thread are rotted, pitch them, but I'm guessing you stored them well and most will be usable.

I don't think Gene L. was referring to Jungle cock when talking about 40 yr old hackle. I'm sure those old capes have some nice spade hackle that can be used.

+1 -- I was thinking the modern improvements in fly tying materials have not really been with the materials used to make those classic flies, and that those classic fly materials would be comparatively more expensive if you were to go out and buy them today.

I don't think most of Bergen's flies used exotics. I

maybe wrong but i think most of the materials are

still readily available.

Then I guess then using my old stuff should work for the "Old" Bergman Flies. Not quite the same age but . . . close??

Thanks for the encouragement.

Davy McPhail has a video of tying a dry fly with Indian necks. They are very fishable and work, maybe take two feathers to hackle.. But his wasn't anything like R. Bergman flies. I'm not sure when the modern photographs of RB flies were made, but they sure don't look like Indian capes.

Only if I'm captured and tortured will I go back to tying drys

with Indian necks !