Fly Tying

Hello, My name is Timmy Pope am new to this form. I am a 17-year-old fly tier and fisherman from state college pa. I am looking for any advice I can get please add my fly tying page on Instagram @timsflyfishing_pa. My original question is what flies can I tie with a grey natural dun hackle its a very light grey and I did not mean to order it. But I have many questions and would appreciate any messages on my Instagram and this site. If anyone has any extra hackles or anything they don't want feel free to let me know lol.

Dun is a color description borrowed from horses, as a color it varies in many shades of brownish gray or grayish brown- as a feather color natural dun would simply indicate that it isn't dyed gray-brown, to help you pick a fly I could say any grayish fly pattern. But is the feather from a hen or a rooster? and is neck/cape or saddle?

Many dry flies could use various dun colored rooster hackle and many wet flies could use dun hen hackle. The type of feather determines the use more than the color.

While you tell us more about the feathers you have, tell us a bit about you as well?

Ok its a greyish dun colour i am Timmy im 17 from state collage pa plan to have a fly shop one day and you can check out my Instagram @timsflyfishing_pa please send me a dm and let me know you're from the forum i also have a picture of the hackle on there

Welcome to the site, Timmy, sincerely.

Edited ...

You changed your original post, which made mine "obsolete."

um I haven't added any links in anything so i don't know what you're talking about

He's talking about instagram.

Timmy, welcome to fly tying.
You're pretty lucky to have all that trout water near you. Looks like you have a couple of fly shops at 2603 East College Ave & 2030 East College Ave; I bet they can answer a lot of your questions face to face.

As I said above the question doesn't tell us what kind of feathers you have. Stiff shiny hackle are for dry flies and and soft webby hackles are for wet flies.

Depends

Is it dry hackle, soft hackle, maybe throw up a picture of it.

If it's dry hackle, you could use it for Blue Dun, Blue Winged Olive, certain caddis patterns, there are a few options. If it's a hen neck, you could use it for nymphs, matukas, other streamers.

I tie most of my Griffith Gnats with Dun Hackles. Works as well as Grizzly. If its really light, use it for Blue Quills. And Blue Wing Olives. Fish are not nearly so picky about the color of hackle used as are anglers. If its a wet fly hackle. Then any soft hackle you care to make could be tied with a dun hen saddle or neck. I have never seen a trout read a fly recipe book.

his instagram page is not spam

thats a nice looking page you have and a nice looking dun cape

here is the cape in question

ZcnIk6M.jpg

now what could be tied with that cape as requested by tim

tim heres my instagram page https://www.instagram.com/norm_frechette/

i would use that cape to tie some griffiths gnat, blue wing olives, mix it with a brown for an adams, midge dry fly, bivisibles, cracklebacks, wet flies (yes you can use dry fly hackles for wet flies), parachute flies, dry fly vertical wings etc

strip the hackle fibers off and use the stem for bodies

tail fibers

google "flies using dun hackles"

experiment