Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jd1983

Daytona Beach - mid July

The family is headed to Daytona Beach in mid-July and I'd like to get a morning or two of fly fishing in. I'm already reading the book on wade fishing Mosquito Lagoon. How is the water there at that time? Good chance at reds and sea trout at that time? Fly patterns you love? Other general areas to consider? Feel free to send me a PM if you don't want to post publicly.

I live about 30 miles inland (as the crow flies) and 40 miles by road, from Daytona Beach. I don't have a clue about salt water fishing over there. There are a couple of members from that area, so hopefully, you'll get information you need.

So it's safe to assume there are some good fresh water options if I decide to head inland?

Um ... not without a boat. There might be a few retention ponds near your location ... if they still have water in them.

It'd be my pleasure, to take you out on the St. Johns River for a day of fly fishing. Just give me a little lead time so I can get the day off.

There aren't too many wade access points to the Mosquito. You might find access areas right there in Daytona for trout and reds and of course the beach will have fish like whiting, snook, reds. Also Ponce inlet is a good area for all the above.

Flies? 2-3" baitfish and shrimp imitations.

You also look in the salt water section for more info.