Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Where have all the swappers gone?

low forum activity

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:36 PM

We used to have at least one new swap a week and swaps filled in a day or two.  There are members that I swapped with many times who just don't post anymore.  Is there another site with swaps? Does anyone know what happened?  I really miss the challenge of new patterns and materials, or just tying a dozen of my favorite flies.  I keep seeing new members, are they not interested in swapping, or is something else holding them back?

“The thing about fishing is that it gives a man hope.  Each cast builds a little hope and if he can lose himself to that hope, then the worries and the heartache fade into the background.  The wind inside him dies down for a while”

The Royal Wulff Murders, by Keith McCafferty

Fishing Bob

#2 bassbuster

bassbuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:46 PM

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, life got in the way. Been too busy to even try to tie anything lately. I would like to get into a new swap myself.
"Eagles may soar, but Weasles don't get sucked into jet engines." Anonamous

#3 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,519 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:16 PM

i'm here and waiting for a swap to start up. 

i'm not keen on being a swapmeister

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further - Lefty Kreh

#4 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:25 PM

Right now I'm just a bit on the busy side to host, I feel like we've still been doing reasonably well with swaps maybe not as good as before I became a member as I'm still new here compared to some of you, it's also getting into fishing season right now.

#5 stabgnid

stabgnid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:03 PM

I'm here and Always looking for an interesting swap !! To be honest it is a little intimidating for a newby to get into a swap after they see all the great pictures on the forum .. I was very intimidated when I first got on here I lurked in the shadows for a couple months before I ask to get into one .

Steve-stabgnid  

"I don't fly fish I just love to tie flies"

Steve-stabgnid

#6 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:52 PM

I think with nicer weather rolling around people would rather be out fishing flies than tying them.
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret
Once a Marine,Always a Marine-Semper Fidelis

#7 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 09:07 PM

Gone fishing !

#8 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 11:51 PM

Actually, the present swaps and benefits are winding down and I have a friend on another board trying to get back into this one but hasn't been able to. As soon as he gets in I was going to fire up a swap of some kind. They tend to go in bunches, then everyone waits until they're caught up and bunches again. Right now I'd hope most people are using their time to fish those swap flies and plan vacations and things like that. Swaps always fill and get more response from late fall through spring than in summer from my observations.

Nick

#9 RickZieger

RickZieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 01:57 PM

Sent some flies in a small box for a swap.  The meister was unhappy with that. 

Said he had to tear the box apart to get it open.

Since I have many more flies than I will ever use, I am not swapping much.

Rick

#10 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,205 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 02:05 PM

I really enjoyed swaps, unfortunately international postage costs have made it too much of an economical issue now. And some sets go missing and it leaves a bad taste. But swaps are great and I feel it introduced me to new styles and improved my tying a lot. I would encourage anyone waiting to take that step to jump right in.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#11 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 02:49 PM

It's not just board.  Over the years I've noticed swap activity drops during the summer.  As already noted folks are out fishing, on vacation, working on their gardens, around the house, etc.  I like to tie but all I do now is just replace flies I've lost while fishing.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#12 eastern fly

eastern fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 03:15 PM

We used to have at least one new swap a week and swaps filled in a day or two.  There are members that I swapped with many times who just don't post anymore.  Is there another site with swaps? Does anyone know what happened?  I really miss the challenge of new patterns and materials, or just tying a dozen of my favorite flies.  I keep seeing new members, are they not interested in swapping, or is something else holding them back?

What kind of swap would you like to get into? Mine is winding down.

Kevin

https://www.instagram.com/eastern.fly/

A Pitt fan, a Marshall fan, and a WVU fan are climbing a mountain and arguing about who loves their team most. The Marshall fan insists that he is most loyal and then yells,"This is for Marshall!" and jumps off the mountain. Not to be out done,The WVU fan next professes his love for his team. He screams,"This is for the Mountaineers!" and pushes the Pitt fan off the mountain.

Anyone can be a father. It takes a man to be a Dad! Kiss your kids today.

#13 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 03:25 PM

What kind of swap would you like to get into? Mine is winding down.

Kevin

Personally I like trout patterns as that is what I fish for this time of year, but I would consider just about anything.

“The thing about fishing is that it gives a man hope.  Each cast builds a little hope and if he can lose himself to that hope, then the worries and the heartache fade into the background.  The wind inside him dies down for a while”

Fishing Bob

#14 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 03:29 PM

Just to clarify I went back and roughly counted swaps for the same period of time Jan to May: 2018/11, 2017/20, 2016 /16, 2015/ 23.

Fishing Bob

#15 rockworm

rockworm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 03:39 PM

When I lived in Indiana I participated in more swaps. Postage cost no more than a couple of bucks. Now I live in Quebec (Canada) and the cost of postage is more than the value of the flies. (And I do value the flies!) I still enjoy the swaps, but I commit to one only when I can't resist.