Fly Tying
xvigauge

What Would You Do?

Have you ever ordered a pre-owned (used) fly box that was filled with ratty, or cheap, or basically unusable flies? Some of these flies may be OK, but some are not OK. What did you do with them? I collect vintage Perrine aluminum fly boxes, mainly the #66. I just like the way they look, they are rugged, and I had one when I was a kid and really liked it and wish I still had it. You can find them on the bay, sometimes pretty cheap and sometimes ridiculously expensive. Most of them come filled with flies that I cannot use. I probably have over 100 such flies. Should I throw them away, give them away or try to resell them on the bay. I would think that 98% of them would catch bluegills and pan fish with no problem.

Joe

Maybe check with someone from Casting For Recovery, or Project Healing Waters. If they are still good (not rusted and beat up) I think they might be interested in a donation.

could you identify what kind of flies they are? better yet can you post a photo? maybe some forum members might want them

recycle the hooks of the shittiest flies

jjczw1A.jpg

donate the best ones and fish the rest

I like them boxes too, never had any fly boxes that were better. I'm partial to the 69 & 91 but have several other models also. Some of the auction merchants think the flies sell the box, and so fill them with what ever, last small box that I bought had 20 or so brand new salmon flies of the cheapest variety I've seen on poor hooks, not much to do with those; but a previous box had some pretty usable streamers that from the picture I thought would be junk.

I bid strictly what I'd pay for the box alone and if the flies fish use them, if the hook is good salvage it as flytire said, some bad looking flies can be wing-clipped to become passable nymphs, some can be panfish flies as is and some just need trashing.

The Casting For Recovery, or Project Healing Waters, would be a good place to dump a few hundred good flies, if that is what you end with.

Since I am in no way a collector or hoarder, I would throw them away before I could blink an eye. If they were crap flies I would not pause for a moment before chucking them in the trash. If the flies were in decent shape but were of the variety I don't use, which is most flies, I would ask friends if they wanted them before I chucked them but they still wouldn't last more then a few days in my house. If the flies were in good condition and of the variety I fish I would fish them before tying more of that variety myself. in no way shape or form would I store the flies though and most likely I would not go through the effort to donate them.

I say donate the good ones and if the hooks are any good on the bad ones trade them to a tyer for flies.

Pretty sure a Perrine #66 was my first fly box. I have since collected several models including the #96 with the knot tying instructions on the lid.

Maybe check with someone from Casting For Recovery, or Project Healing Waters. If they are still good (not rusted and beat up) I think they might be interested in a donation.

I’m with this guy donate them if you have no use for them. They may be butt ugly and tied poorly but they will still catch fish.

That organization will appreciate them along with dozens of others like the Boy Scouts or someone else that works with kids to keep the tradition alive.

Check with Hairwing530 over here... https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/

He works with terminal ill children....cool human with a heart of gold.

I’ve bought Flies from him in the past and donated stuff to his cause.

I think I will hold onto them for a while before I make a decision. However, a Casting for Recovery donation sounds pretty good. I also have a Redington fly vest that I have outgrown (I can't be growing, I must be gaining weight) and I might just donate that too.

Joe

I have done tying marathons for Casting for Recovery. Even tied flies at shows giving away flies for donations for Casting for Recovery.

But I never gave a thought about donating gear such as vest. Damn, that makes sense. Need something to carry all those flies in.

I think I will hold onto them for a while before I make a decision. However, a Casting for Recovery donation sounds pretty good. I also have a Redington fly vest that I have outgrown (I can't be growing, I must be gaining weight) and I might just donate that too.

Joe

BRAVO ZULU Joe