Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ron1697

Material Recommendation

Hey all!

I'm looking for some recommendations on hook and tungsten slotted bead size to tie a variety of European nymphs (specifically perdigon's). I typically fish smaller streams that are about 15 foot wide and they generally don't have that swift of a current, but there are some spots where the current is pretty good.

I don't have the money right now to go and buy a bunch of different sized hooks and beads so what are everyone's best "all around" sizes? I was thinking size 16 at the smallest. These will be my anchor fly on my European nymphing setup.

Also, What are everyone's thoughts on 60 degree vs. 90 degree?

I know this is a pretty broad post, just looking for some tips so I make the right choice for me.

My most used hook size for nymphs is size 14 or even 12. For ponds I go down to size 20. Both 14 and 16 will use a 3/32 bead. I just use down eyed hooks, usually 3906 or 3906b Mustads. Some of my nymphs I actually tie on 94840 dry fly hooks. But in small streams I usually use a soft hackle or small muddler anyway. Or a certain size 12 caddis wet fly I tie. I don't use many beads, I'm more likely to lead weight the shank, for me that has way outproduced bead heads..

Flyshack right now has packs of 100 slotted tungsten beads for $13 fwiw.... http://www.flyshack.com/DisplayItem.aspx?ItemID=112005

Dave G. when you use a size 14 down eye with a 3/32 bead, does if ride hook side up? I'm thinking this would be a good combination and I could always add lead wire to the shank if I want to make a heavier fly.

Dave G. when you use a size 14 down eye with a 3/32 bead, does if ride hook side up? I'm thinking this would be a good combination and I could always add lead wire to the shank if I want to make a heavier fly.

The way I tie ( conventional tie) them they ride hook down.

Any recommendations to get it to ride hook up without a jig style hook? Or is that not possible..

Any recommendations to get it to ride hook up without a jig style hook? Or is that not possible..

yes its possible

use insta jig beads on a non jig style hook

bead-jig-offset-gold.jpg

3t5URMd.jpg

Thanks for the input everyone!

One more thing, I have been eyeing up the Umpqua U555 in size 14 because they are relatively inexpensive, anyone have experience with these? Would they work well for tying a variety of European style nymphs?

Also, would a 2.3mm (3/32") non-slotted tungsten bead pair nicely? Or should I go larger?

Sounds good, I have enjoyed using the U202 model in both 16 and 10 sizes. Love the value of the U series

vicente, would you recommend size 14 in the U555 for European nymphing applications? And if so, which tungsten bead size? Slotted or not?

Ron if you want the hook point up why not go with offset beads ? You can get the generic type, doesn't have to be a name brand I don't imagine. Basically the same thing flytire showed us above.

Most hooks are pretty decent these days, even store brand ones.

Dave G.

Good point, I will consider all of these options. Still wondering which tungsten bead size to use though.

I haven't tied any euro style nymphs on them, closest thing would be peeping caddis, they will ride point up with a cyclops bead, you don't need the slotted jig beads though it would look prettier.

post-58401-0-02412400-1533069363_thumb.jpg