Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Gudebrod Thread Holders

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:59 PM

Mike can they ask the value of an item in a general thread like this? This isn't the trading forum, so?

#17 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,131 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 08:06 PM

Asking value is fine. I am the one that deleted a few replies in this thread. Someone with 1 post was selling items and someone else was saying they were interested. That's against forum rules and only belongs in the trading floor once the seller meets the requirement to sell here. Asking value here is fine, selling is not.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#18 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 08:48 PM

Thanks for the reply Steve.

#19 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 06:48 AM

I still have a bunch of Gudebrod thread for rodbuilding.... but now that they're long out of business - the thread colors I use the most are no longer available... so I'm forced to into another manufacturer's product - and of course the colors aren't quite the same....

Tight lines Bob LeMay (954) 435-5666

#20 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 10:28 AM

I did not know that Gudebrod was out of business, I see their thread for sale here and there, not that I need or use it.

#21 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 11:07 AM

FYI contact info for extinct thread.

Ed's Threads and Lines
4 Edenton Court, Ocoee, Florida 34761
Email: [email protected]
Phone/Text: +1 (321) 345-7637
Proud resaler of Gudebrod products

https://edgamble49.w...eads-and-lines#!

#22 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,131 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 11:14 AM

I did not know that Gudebrod was out of business, I see their thread for sale here and there, not that I need or use it.

They went out of business around 8 years or so ago? Can't remember exactly when it was. The rod building/fly tying thread portion of them was never their main business. They were more of a dental,surgical, lacing thread company and just had the other stuff in addition to their main line of threads. The older I get the more I can't remember but if memory serves correct I think they had stopped the rod building/tying thread part of the company a few years before they stopped their other line of products. I'm not sure if they still are around in some capacity or not because after they dropped the rod/tying portion I started using other brands. I've still got a bunch of Gudebrod thread, that's one good thing about buying in bulk as a business, I use to buy the spools by the 10 pack. Just don't tell Capt Bob because he may drive up here and ransack my old Gudebrod stash looking for a color he wants laugh.png

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#23 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,191 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 12:49 PM

You're easy to find with a drone, too.  Just look for the Bonsai Garden in the back yard. (Can't be too many of those in Detroit)

Or drive around until you hear movie soundtracks coming from an attic.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#24 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,131 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 02:19 PM

Just look for the Bonsai Garden in the back yard. (Can't be too many of those in Detroit)

True. You will find a lot of people in Detroit "growing a garden"...but it sure ain't no bonsai trees!laugh.png laugh.png

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#25 saltydancindave

saltydancindave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 05:56 PM

Have 4 different colors on the fly tying desk from over 20 years ago that are mostly used for tying bass flies. Since there's bucketmouths in the lake across the street probably keep using them until the thread starts breaking with every wrap.

#26 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 11:31 PM

Since Im only building rods for my skiff these days (and a few repairs for customers) my thread needs for rodcrafting are greatly reduced. Ive also switched over to black thread with gold trim on all the rods I hand my anglers when were not fly fishing (done the first two - only eight more to go..). Just happen to have a full box of one ounce spools of size A Gudebrod in black. Doubt Ill ever run out since Im 71 now...

#27 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,131 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 11:58 PM

Ya gotta love those big spools don't ya. I usually just buy boxes of 100yrd'er spools just because its quick and easy to sit them on the thread carrier. But I do have a 4oz spool of royal blue that I got from a buddy years ago. I bet I have been using on that spool for 8 yrs and you still can't tell it lol. Then again outside of Mike I only use blue maybe 15% of the time biggrin.png

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#28 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 06:26 AM

I actually have a few old Holland thread four ounce spools in basic colors.  I suspect each spool is good for one hundred big trolling rods... I rarely have used them since the colors don't match Gudebrods... Oh well someday they'll pass along to someone else...

#29 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,191 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 07:07 AM

Then again outside of Mike I only use blue maybe 15% of the time biggrin.png

So few people with a true appreciation of the most beautiful of colors.  wink.png

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#30 Vastator

Vastator

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 11:04 AM

Someone with a 3d printer might be able to make you some. The design looks simple enough.

Funny thing,  Im working on learning to use Fusion 360 to do this eventually but mostly to work on this fly tying bobbin: https://www.thingive...m/thing:3508612   

I've printed this one and it sorta works but with a few mods, i think it will work great.    I have several of the gudebrod bobbins and looking at them closely they seem to have a lot of curved surfaces so it may that the first attempt at modeling this may be more squarish  ;)   

I like this idea a lot though,   Im trying to find ways to make the cost of this hobby cheaper for people who really cant afford it but want to try it.