Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Gudebrod Thread Holders

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 Vastator

Vastator

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:33 PM

Im getting warmer......

Attached Thumbnails

• 20191202_205113.jpg

#32 Camp'n'fish

Camp'n'fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 11:42 PM

That looks pretty good Vastator.

#33 Vastator

Vastator

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 06:12 PM

This can be found on thingiverse: https://www.thingive...m/thing:4141189

#34 Barbless Bob

Barbless Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:48 AM

The basic reason why I like the original Gudebrod holders is I can feel the amount of tension on the thread in my hand better than with any other bobbin I have ever used. Also, because of their relatively low price, it was very convenient to keep the long spools of various thread colors attached on their own holders without having to change or reload. The plastic holders were part of Gary Borger's/Gudebrod's system to hold a complete offering of various tying thread colors, primarily to match common freshwater fly patterns.  The downside of the cheap holders is that they aren't as precise as expensive bobbins. Sometimes the thread slips and sometimes wax build-up causes the thread to stick in the holes. My previous interest in obtaining more holders was that I have been using a lot of Sulky thread which is available in the long Gudebrod-like spools. I like to use Sulky thread primarily for some bass fly patterns I tie for myself. After posting my original inquiry I found enough of the plastic holders to satisfy my needs and I thank those of you for helping me in my search.