Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Not one but two LAW vises on eBay!

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

When I grow up, I'm moving to Florida !!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,139 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 04:08 PM

$2,254.00 right now

I get the whole collectable thing...but $2k for tying vises?? Just wow.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#17 Mogup

Mogup

You guys are very cranky !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 04:41 PM

Lol flytire.

#18 Bazzer69

Bazzer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 05:10 PM

Crazy, my CAE which is a improved version of the LAW was only
$700. Both Mr Waldron and Mr Evans I think come from the same part of the U.K. makes me wonder if there is any connection.

#19 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:31 PM

There was pedestal/base  style a couple months back that was BIN $2400, these are still less than $1200 each. With 11 bidders they will surely  go higher.

#20 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 01:39 PM

If I had the expendable cash (and I don't) and had nothing else to spend it on (I do) I would bid on these. I have a small collection of vises, mostly inexpensive, vintage vises, and I can see that to a serious collector a LAW vise might be an important one to include. These look to be in mint condition and very good examples of the state of the art at the time.

I have to stress here, again, that I am not a serious collector and have a lot of other things to spend my money on, like bills and a boat. I think, as long as I have a boat, I will never be a serious vise collector.

I will not have any animosity toward (or speak poorly about) the lucky winner of this auction, more power to him.

I don't have any kids, (would have loved some) and as long as my wife was taken care of when I die, I can think of no better legacy than to donate a nice vise collection to one of the fly fishing related charities for a fund raiser to fund cancer research or take a wounded veteran fishing.

#21 Stippled Popper

Stippled Popper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 03:55 PM

Checked my wallet, mogup.  I might be able to buy you one of these.

rBVaV1wKUouANzwqAACniKlxG78662.jpg

Not the set, just one.  Black or red?

Nice!

But seriously, the subject of your having attended the North Toledo Bend Rendezvous several years ago came up in our discussions.  Hope your schedule puts you in the area sometime in future the first weekend in November so you might be able to attend again.

#22 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,209 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 08:21 PM

Hey Stippled!

Yeah, that was a fun weekend.  I think about it every Fall.  I'd like to do it again.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#23 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,139 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:36 PM

$2600 now with 4 hrs left. That's $100 more than I paid for my first car! blink.png

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#24 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,209 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:39 PM

My first car (bought in 1975) was a '55 Buick Century ... in pretty good shape.  $2600.00 is $2100.00 more than I paid for that car.  My second car was a 1969 Camaro RS, bought 2 years later for $600.00.

Perhaps that clues in why I am loath to spend "big money" on anything!

Barbed hooks rule!

#25 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,139 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:46 PM

If you still had the Rally Sport 69 then just think how many vises you could buy with the money from that car lol

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#26 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,209 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:58 PM

If I'd been a collector, there are a LOT of things I had through my 60 years of life that would buy several LAW vices.  But, I never did collect. 

I sold that Camaro, three years later, for the same amount I bought it for and never felt one bit of remorse. 

I just never had that "emotional" connection to inanimate objects.

Barbed hooks rule!

#27 primeflycompany

primeflycompany

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:16 PM

I understand the collector mentality. When I got about a year into fly tying, I started wanting to tie flies where the materials weren't available anymore. I spent quite a bit to get some. I don't have any connection to the Law vise brand, but I understand the quality. I think Jvice is making vises at a very high standard at this moment. Very unique and if he ever stopped making vises I would pay a pretty penny for one. Hopefully I'll be able to order one at the end of 2019, we'll see. 

jvice_479_hard_pear.jpg

Owner of Prime Fly Company
www.primeflycompany.com
Instagram: @primeflycompany
Facebook @primeflycompany 

#28 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:41 PM

$2600 now with 4 hrs left. That's $100 more than I paid for my first car! blink.png

about 2550$ more than I paid for the first '49 F1 pickup I had in '65.

#29 Bazzer69

Bazzer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 07:18 PM

$5400!!! Someone has deep pockets!

#30 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members